Favorites at Trader Joe's?

Brought the mix home once by mistake and Mrs. Midlife was not happy. Dark only here. The dark chocolate covered ginger is really good too.

Itā€™s interesting, cool and somewhat whimsical to read of a grown personā€™s still childlike sense of food explorationā€¦ I mean that in the sincerest sense. :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay, now, speaking of TJs discoveries. Iā€™ve been helping someone recovering from surgery. Amongst buying TJs prepared salads, soups & such I discovered those frozen Chicken Tenders. I did them in their air-fryer w/a dipping sauce of TJs lite-mayo & sriracha and served them w/a TJs salad. 20 minutes. Convenience triumphs!

5 Likes

Well, damn it, due to poor sales they discontinued the Bay Blend Ultra Dark Roast Iā€™ve been buying for years. Iā€™m filing an age discrimination lawsuit.

1 Like

Ah, yes, TJs.

Someone who works there told me they discontinue a certain percentage (6? 9?) of products every year based on which sell the least.

I thought it was far more often. Iā€™m a HUGE fan of their Harvest Grains and in the past would make sure I had multiple bags on hand. Now youā€™ve made me nervous; I only have one!

1 Like

Doesnā€™t seem like it would be hard to duplicate that. Itā€™s juat Israeli couscois, orzo, chana dal, and red quinoa.

I could but would I?

2 Likes

Damn that stuff is good. Took me like 60 seconds scanning the hummus area before I finally spotted it.

3 Likes

Itā€™s an amazing recipe helper too, Weā€™ve unsuccessfully tried to make Toum so many timesā€¦ this flavor is just the perfect mellow garlic creaminess. Itā€™s great in sauces, mixed in with rice and a spread for panninis.

3 Likes

Have you tried this? May 2022 Rundown - #53 by ebethsdad

I think I must be the only one who isnā€™t bowled over by TJā€™s toum. Itā€™s too mellow for me, although I can imagine it would work well as a recipe helper, as you mention.

1 Like

I believe that was one we tried, but it appears to have been updated. So perhaps weā€™ll give it a shot. I agree with you that the TJā€™s Toum is more on the mellow side, I like it that way. A quick meal for us here is a packet of TJā€™s Chicken Schwarma, a Packet of Frozen Naan and this Toum. Whip up a simple greek style salad and go to townā€¦

2 Likes

Do Not Buy. This is gross.

10 Likes

mcgregor-the-delicious-monster

60% Chenin Blanc, 20% Muscat, 20% Chardonnay, dry, floral, fruity, 12.5% alcohol, excellent value at $6. For my taste itā€™s a little short of acid, but my taste is not most peopleā€™s.

5 Likes

Not a favorite, just posting here as Iā€™m trying half a dozen cheap whites from TJā€™s. Not bad for $6 but Iā€™ll pay the extra $2 for the Sauvignon Republic (my current everyday white when Iā€™m short of cash). For the price I prefer the Delicious Monster (though I might add a pinch of citric and/or malic acid).

1 Like

I tried the Mandela last week, I thought it was a bit on the sweet side and I also coincidentally picked up a bottle of the Sauv Republic as well. I liked that betterā€¦ but I think in the less than $10 range for a SB at TJs the Babich is decent.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t had this in a few years. Still the only wine under $5 I"d be happy to drink. I didnā€™t like the rosĆ©, itā€™s insipid and too sweet.

2 Likes

+1 for the Espiral Vinho Verde. Slightly effervescent and light on the alcohol. We always have a bottle on hand.

2 Likes

Same. Itā€™s my summer party one for sure. I wish we had places with bigger selections of Vinho Verdeā€¦ That is always the best part of going back to Boston/Rhode Island. The good stuff is really niceā€¦ Vinho Verde > Rose.

1 Like

Do they have the reds there?