February 2020 Rundown

It is bigger than your typical corn tortilla

I finally made it to El Ruso last Saturday. It was good, but I won’t be going back.
He had asada, chile colorado, and birria de res. I ordered one of each.

The asada was good, but I much prefer Tire Shop’s asada.
I agree that the salsas could use improvement.

2 Likes

This is hilarious. My brother in law just introduced me to the Whole Foods bacon- at the same price as everything else in the bar it’s by far the most worth it. Almost as cost effective as making it yourself and then your hair doesn’t smell like it all day

3 Likes

can you elaborate a bit? is tire shop’s simply cooked better?

I got more mesquite in Tire Shop’s asada and it was more luscious and glistening and straight-off-the-grill salty, steaky deliciousness. The first time I had Tire Shop’s asada, I thought “goddamn, that is good.” I didn’t get that El Ruso.

Also, atmosphere. Tire Shop is a party. The people working seem generally happy.
Maybe it was an off day, but there was a bit of a negative cloud that hung over El Ruso when I was there. Interactions between the taquero and his servers were a little tense. Tough to pinpoint, but there was a weird vibe.

3 Likes

Exactly!! It’s probably 1/3 of the price when compared to the yield of uncooked.

They make it up on heavy breakfast burritos and weighty oatmeal. LOL

When there’s a small tent where the toddler daughter was hanging out, you know it’s different atmosphere at el ruso

Yeah just buy a whole lb of it!

6 Likes

How did the harry’s berrys taste? Wasn’t aware that it was strawberry season.

1 Like

The Mara des Bois strawberries are very sweet and concentrated with flavor with a floral note this week. The Gaviotas were a bit watery but this is the first week I’ve seen it at the Wed Santa Monica market. I’ve seen Seascape at other vendors but haven’t tried it. It’s nearly always strawberry season in SoCal. :strawberry: :strawberry: :strawberry:

3 Likes

Use Japanese to remember strawberry season easily!

Ichi = One
Go = Five
Ichigo = Strawberry

In Japan, strawberries are typically in season from the first to the fifth month of the year (Jan - May).

Is the strawberry season the same here in SoCal?

4 Likes

For us in NorCal they run around April (May is usually the better part of the early season for a few pick your own farms) till about September ish but even for some of the premium SF Farmers Market vendors don’t seem to be on the level of Harry’s Berries (with some rare exception that come close but not the same).

We now can get strawberries from Saga prefecture (both red and pink/white kind) through certain channels, though it remains to be seen how good they are.

2 Likes

Hmm… Sounds like the ichigo thing might not work for us, then.

1 Like

I used to work in Oxnard, right around acres and acres of strawberry fields. They started picking in January.

4 Likes

It’s hard to find strawberries that are as consistently good as the ones in Japan here.

1 Like

I hate giving this guy compliments (it really goes to his head), but @JLee has been killing it at his Pearl River Delta pop-up this past week. As of right now, it’ll extend until the end of this week. The Macau pork chop bun (on bolo bao), char siu, and soy sauce chicken have all been on point. Rumor is he might bring back the hainan chicken before the end of the pop-up run…

9 Likes

love it!

2 Likes

Yes, but I will take strawberries that I can afford over strawberries that are perfect.
And very happy to have Harry’s Berries when I want to splurge.

By the way, my opinion: Harry’s Berries are better than Japanese strawberries.

2 Likes

Wait, wait. What is a Bacon Bar???

1 Like