February 2022 Rundown

Love those cha chaang teng cups.

1 Like

Sable. Rare to find and their is the best I’ve had. Sturgeon.

I would agree but I don’t find it on the menu at R&D. Though that doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t have it.

2 Likes

Say it ain’t so!! What’s happening to the world.

Yeah, you’re right, I don’t see it on their toasttab menu.

They seem to still sell it by the pound, $44/lbs :flushed:

I wonder if when you go in there you could just order it on a bagel? Maybe their Toasttab menu is pared down?

Nature pagoda. Haven’t had clay pot rice in so long, they made me wait 45 min though, they apologized so something clearly happened In the back. So if you go don’t be in a hurry.

7 Likes

As discussed in that article, they probably leave it off the menu so that people who want nova wont get lox by mistake.

“People will constantly come in and ask for lox, and it sometimes requires a little back and forth to find out what they’re actually looking for. If someone over a certain age asks assertively for belly lox, we’re not going to question him or her, but most people end up wanting one of our seven varieties of smoked salmon.”

2 Likes

Just a brief off-topic diversion… The use of “appetizer counter” in the article was totally confusing and new to me. In case anyone else was confused:

2 Likes

Actually that’s just a link to

1 Like

Correct. I didn’t read that other link yet, and I try not to post links to things I haven’t yet read. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This came up a bit in the Langer’s: Threat or Menace brouhaha a while back, specifically the implicit expectations of a deli vs. dairy restaurant vs. appetizing store.

Forgive me if you’ve seen this article:

1 Like

sorry I didn’t read the article cause I know the difference. LOL!

Well the restaurant people brought this upon themselves by calling smoked salmon lox. They do that all the time, use them interchangeably especially here. Like a bagel and doughnut are the same thing. They both are round, have holes in them and they’re both made from flour. They created this. And they look at me sideways every time I ask is it lox or is it nova. Throwing the word “belly” when asking about lox helps, though in the old days you didn’t need to.

3 Likes

OT, Zabar‘s has good knishes. I wonder if they make them themselves or if they have some other place. They aren’t like Yonah Schimmel’s (thank g-d)

Anyone from NYC know?

2 Likes

Ho Foods, East Village.

Sorry I wanted to like this place. Not quite there for me. Sergio is not in the house btw. Still happy to support a fellow Taiwanese-American. Maybe I went on a off night. Maybe I’ll stop by 886 or a bodega lol

6 Likes

“Ayo papi lemme get a baconeggcheesesaltpepperketchup!”

Fukin glorious! It’s on every corner in NYC. I even got me some fresh green juice! Beats fukin Del Taco late at night.

16 Likes

We miss you back here in LA…

7 Likes

Russ and Daughters. I really like that whitefish and baked salmon salad.

13 Likes

Yeah I’m a believer!

16 Likes

Thank you. I’ll be back in CA hopefully soon for good. LA or the Bay. In the meantime I am going to experience all I can out here.

7 Likes

The NY prince st is a lot better than the WeHo prince st

3 Likes

Baja Subs, Northridge.

Fish curry with rice. Kale with coconut; beets; dal; jackfruit; green beans.

Vegetable curry version, which like the fish, came with pappadum and a dried red pepper. Side order malu paan also pictured.

Closer look at Malu paan.

8 Likes

Chopped cheese! This is tasty AF. Went to the OG bodega that invented this sandwich. Haji’s/Blue Sky in East Harlem

12 Likes