February 2022 Rundown

This is the Devil’s handiwork.

8 Likes

Jino’s Pars in Westchester

I’ve wanted to try Jino’s Pars for a while now because they’re the only Persian spot close by to me that has lamb koobideh. The koobideh was nice and juicy and seasoned well, and I really liked the albaloo polo too.

Birrieria Jalisco in Lynwood

I looove their birria de chivo and tacos de chivo. Really good handmade corn tortillas too.

22 Likes

Happy Birthday!!

1 Like

Those tortillas looks great.

1 Like

Happy Birthday looks like a great bday meal!

1 Like

Your photos are great! :yum:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday!

1 Like

Yum! We used to go here frequently pre-pandemic and haven’t been since. Glad to hear they’re still good.

1 Like

A much needed trip to the Bacon Bar.

A large container packed to the brim, This thing HAS to be the equivalent of 3 packs of bacon. But this whole thing cost $6.57,

Yep, my Jewish dilemma. Pork on sale.

18 Likes

How much is it per pound?

What an amazing hack I’ll have to go to wf when I need breakfast sandwiches or burritos

4 Likes

Brea WF has discontinued the bacon bar. I asked one of the managers and they don’t have plans to bring back the bacon bar. We may need to riot. Whose with me?

5 Likes

No exciting cross-section photos, but went for a snack at Burritos La Palma

One birria, one deshebrada.

13 Likes

I think $7.99. Had to be like 50 strips, or more, it was pretty thinly sliced.

Whole Foods Porter Ranch. Not every location still does bacon.

1 Like

Some J&V today I really miss all the pizza options in the city. Almost went to sei but it was a little too out of the way.

11 Likes

Nothing like seeing a small tortilla clutching its wonderful stuffing. So good.

2 Likes

Well said.

I ate the Five Major Food Groups.

1) Dessert

Kimochi-LA by Chef Gemma Matsuyama Yamada (formerly the dessert chef at Ototo / Tsubaki)

You know all those to-die-for fruit mochi pieces that Ototo used to offer? Chef Gemma is now doing her own thing and selling them directly - recent pickup locations have been in Studio City and West LA

This last offering included strawberry daifuku mochi with white bean, and a tiramisu mochi; folks are familiar with the former, but the latter is a standout as well; this week she added grape mochi, though I didn’t get a chance to order that

A salted yolk, pork floss cake sold through Holy Basil by Chef Cherry - I think she’s doing this on the side, and the IG is @huahuacherry

This was an interesting savory combo - Not Too Sweet

Egg tarts and pineapple golden lava buns at Capital Seafood - always reliable dim sum

2) Pasta

Finally got to try Horses (thanks @PorkyBelly ) and got the pasta a la Herman

First time back at Osteria Mozza since the beginning of the pandemic, with the garganelli bolognese

Not pasta, but I agree with others that the apps are the standouts - had to get the burrata with anchovy and toast (note the more generous portions of toast) and the Nancy’s (deconstructed) caesar

3) Sushi

Maru-san continues to impress at Mori Sushi

Some highlights include the amadai nigiri and saba with kelp nigiri, though though the biggest highlight was meeting another FTCer for the first time - a great night was had by all.

Shirako

Not strictly sushi, but I’m trying to be too cute in this post, so the below a bento box from Jimmy Sugishita he keeps getting better and better!

4) Pizza

Danny Boy’s - the “traditional” New York slice is great, but I would say you absolutely cannot leave without ordering a Sicilian slice (not pictured)
(dinner plate for scale)

5) Burgers

Horses (again) - this pub burger was a highlight

Apple Pan Hickory Burger and Regular Burger pictured here (don’t sleep on the regular Burger!)

Goldburger perhaps my favorite of the smash-style burgers - there’s lace, but the patty isn’t all lace as it has a nice meaty component in between as well

25 Likes

Is this all in one day?

7 Likes

I love that pizza, too!
I’m now hungry, again, after seeing your post.

1 Like