First Time at Brent's Deli

I’m from Boston and we had all 3 types—potato, kasha and beef knishes. I also remember the beef being mixed w/ potato (not sure about the kasha ones). All were oval/roundish shaped.

2 Likes

Yes. I think some places still make square knish out east but round seems to be more in style these days, especially in California.

It’s interesting all the places that mix the meat or kasha with potato. Until I ordered Yonah Schimmel I had never had one like that before. I personally don’t care for them made that way.

@js76wisco my favorite knishes from NY were the ones from Zabars. Damn this thread, I may need to order knishes from zabars… and a knoblewurst from Katz’s.

3 Likes

Wifey and I went today.

Wasn’t sure if I should post this under the “Pastrami, Glorious Pastrami” thread or the “Post Your Daily Sandwich” thread… because I know that the sandwiches from Brent’s Deli have been posted 1 million times. But it’s just so damn good I have to post again somewhere.

Pastrami Rueben

Corned Beef Rueben

11 Likes

So glad you went - and were happy!

Next time you have to try their BBQ cod (aka sable) and report back : )

1 Like

Their BBQ Cod is House made and wonderful!

3 Likes

??? Is that a common deli thing???
As a former NY Jew I am ashamed to admit I’ve never heard of it.

BBQ Cod is expensive so most delis no longer offer it. Brent’s had trouble getting it in Los Angeles and that is why they started making it in house. It’s delicious, moist and tender. Great on a Bagel and cream cheese. The Cod is in the center of the photo.

5 Likes

Yeah, their fish platters are awesome. Several times I’ve gotten fish and deli trays from Brent’s for the office. Always a hit!

Yeah, the BBQ cod you can’t find out here. Same with belly lox. I only wish Brent’s would make that, too. All you can get here is smoked salmon.

2 Likes

I used this method several times with salmon from Costco, How to Make Delicious Salmon Lox at Home.. Turned out really well. Not Zabar’s quality, but still excellent.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool!

Thanks for posting!

The other thing I miss seeing, I don’t mean to rant, was as a kid we went to get lox and the guy behind the counter would slice it by hand. it was incredible watching how perfect and thin the slices were.

1 Like

Not sure if you have read him, but Calvin Trillin has a wonderful bit about going to Russ and Daughters when the countermen drop everything to skooch a three year-old’s cheeks. This is a bit far from Brent’s however - and I love Brent’s!

2 Likes

Drat! Now I want a smoker!

2 Likes

We used to get BBQ cod at Corky and Lenny’s, a deli in University Heights, now in Woodmere. We had it as recently as 6 years ago, on a platter. Now, when you go to their catering section? Not even a hint of cod. Sigh.

2 Likes

No I haven’t. I’ll need to look him up :slight_smile:

G-d I loved Corky and Lenny’s.

When I was a kid, back when they were on Cedar, while you waited in line they had a chafing dish filled with mini meat knishes. I would get stuffed on those so much I couldn’t eat dinner.

Hey, I guess that’s where I developed my love for knishes.

Wow, no cod. Crazy.

2 Likes

As I am sure @Gr8pimpin will assure you true lox are not always smoked. That said I really enjoy my smoker.

2 Likes

LOL! Yep. True Lox, sometimes referred to as belly lox, is cured not smoked. Nova is smoked salmon.

Both are tasty, but that silky fatty salty belly lox… oh man I do miss it.

On deli menus, nova was always much more expensive. Now, it’s the other way around.

1 Like

Wexler’s Deli in Santa Monica has house smoked BBQ cod, and it’s really good. Silky, smoky, rich and moist. Their other two locations probably carry it too but I didn’t get it there.

1 Like