Five-year wedding anniversary dinner recs?

I’m with @ebethsdad. I always have better luck calling and talking to a person.

3 Likes

Ditto. #TeamLuddite

3 Likes

You can have open table and Resy apps alert you for reservations people cancel all the time . You never know!

1 Like

If you haven’t guessed we are all pulling for you. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Hey everyone, we ended up at Angler and more or less stayed in budget. I think we spent $370 total. The service was terrible–we had an 8 pm reservation and didn’t order until 8:40. Our waiter was awful–taking 15 minutes to get a glass of wine, etc. It is certainly not the well-oiled machine that it once was, but whatever, there was a pandemic. Always good to be generous with expectations these days.

With that being said, the food was so damn good that we didn’t care about the service. If anything, I preferred the eating to my last pre-pandemic meal there. (I mentioned this to the waiter and he said that Skenes said the same thing, that this kitchen crew is better than the old one?) Anyways, we ordered oysters, antelope tartare, as well as a delicious Thai-inspired ceviche for starters.

The parker house rolls with the seaweed butter are transcendent, as would be expected. As for vegetables, we did the potato (absolutely decadent and perfect) and the artichokes (which were my wife’s favorite.)

The spot prawn was magnificent. We were sitting near the kitchen/fire and everytime these bad boys went on the grill you could smell them. What a wonderful scent. Anyway, suck on the head, all that goodness. At 16 dollars, I’d be tempted to do like three or four of these myself. To finish we did the whole sea bream.

And then of course the sundae. The ember-strained caramel is ridiculous.

Bestia soon.

15 Likes

Thank you for reporting back. I would scold you for the lack of pictures, but as it was your fifth anniversary I assume it was too romantic to think about such things. In 28 years perhaps you will remember.
Sorry about the lousy service. We have noticed this to be a thing lately and I presume you are correct in that things aren’t quite on track yet after the lockdowns.
At any rate congratulations!