Flora, Oakland

I can’t believe I’d never been there until last night. But after an early aperitivo at the Punchdown, we were looking for dinner and decided to see if there might be a table. 2 bar seats later, we were set.

We shared:
(1) Fried smelts
(2) House-made mozzarella plate
(3) Burgers
(4) Caramel Pudding
(5) Ice cream w/blueberry sauce

We also shared a cocktail and a bottle of wine - oh yes, chicharrones with the cocktail.

All in all, a really good dinner. I don’t know what took so long to finally go other than that we’re rarely down that way at dinner time. Items 1, 2 and 4 were outstanding. Everything else was very good, including the Barbera that washed much of it down.

It’s a great place for adults who like a real dinner. First-rate on all counts.

mozzarella, prosciutto, Coraline chicory, Castelvetrano olives, Calabrian chiles, mint ($16)

local halibut, perfectly cooked ($30)

chicharron

chicharron ($7)

cabbage

stuffed cabbage ($13)

halibut

halibut ($30)

Drank a nice Vouvray.

[rabbit

Buttermilk-fried rabbit with celery root remoulade, Treviso, and chile oil ($14): usually rabbit comes in very small portions, so we got two orders, but if we’d known what a huge portion it was going to be we would have shared one. Very delicate, didn’t have the slight bitter finish it often has. Both salads were great and I was happy to have that all for myself.

burger

Perfect burger ($16), nice char, medium-rare as ordered, good flavor, great house-made bun. OK fries, third salad was also great.

greens

rich greens (cream and bacon?) with OK fried onions ($7)

beets

beets with horseradish cream ($6)

Drank a nice bottle of 2014 Dexter Lake Handlebars Red ($52).

The prices are so modest it’s easy to over-order, that was a ridiculous amount of food for two. Great meal.

Mmm rabbit, looks awesome.

Hopefully more and more places keep recognizing the wonders of rabbit!

aioli

Went for burgers the other night and I had a creative and original appetizer. I think it was described as smoked pork, but it was really more like a grand aioli, with beets, cauliflower, potatoes, medium-boiled egg, etc. with thin slices of pork in place of the usual salt cod. Very good.

fgt

Another pre-burger creative, original, and generously portioned appetizer: fried green tomatoes, roasted corn, green beans, cucumber, cherry tomato, red onion, watercress, and fried caper remoulade ($12).

2 Likes

God damn it.