Food gifts from LA

Whenever I go to Fugetsu-Do I am amazed at how masterful the lady wraps the items.

1 Like

Revive them.

Wrap them in damp paper towel, gently and loosely, then microwave them at low temp for 10 seconds at a time. Check after each 10 seconds, repeat until they become soft, pillowy and moist again. Sort of like tempering chocolate in the microwave.

Or, if all else fails, give them to me. I will take care of them for you …

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

And, after having had my chocolate ganache seize both times when I made a recipe on 2 separate occasions, I think I’ll be trying the microwave trick for the chocolate, too. ::sigh::

This is super-helpfull–THANKS!

Thanks for the link!

The peanut brittle at Monastery of the Angels in Hollywood has always been a hit. The salty nuts are a perfect counterbalance to the sweet brittle.

1 Like

Looks like another great idea.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sheesh, I just realized that I said “hounds” in my original post and I almost typed it again. Old habits die hard, I guess…

So–how to refer to everyone on this new site? Collectively, I mean.

And thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I’m really looking forward to this visit and hoping for warmer weather than here in the Bay Area!

FTCers…

Talkies?

1 Like

How about “Talkers?”

ChocXO chocolate from a maker in Orange County is amazing. Because it’s in OC rather than LA, it’s under the radar. But it’s arugably the best chocolatier in soCAL if you’re ever down in the OC area.

Thanks for the info. I rarely get down to OC, tho I’d like to. We know a couple that live in Irvine and that’s about a 2 hour drive from Valencia…

I realized the other day that I never posted what I actually brought back. I ended up at Joan’s on Third (in Studio City) and got two bags of caramel popcorn. I put the bags out in the “communal” bowl in the office, and was barely touched, even tho we all have voracious appetites. Just last week I saw one of the bags appear again, and told my admin to toss it–it was almost 3 months old.

Back to Little John’s toffee, I guess…that stuff always disappears quickly.

Thanks again for all the recs!

2 Likes

Tortillas, yo

hard to go wrong w/ Littlejohns!!! I’m going to be @ the Farmers Market tomorrow (for work)—I may have to get some while I’m there! toffee toffee toffee

3 Likes

Definitely hard to go wrong with LJ but it’s a hassle to go there if for only that reason. I don’t mind going there for lunch and some shopping but parking is the main challenge…

Only fixin Langer’s pastrami needs is a nice rye bread and some mustard, which I’m sure you can get in SF.

Mustard we have. Rye bread of the right type, not so much.

Wow… I stand corrected. I was going to suggest ACME but see someone shot that down on the Chowhound thread. Hard to believe in a city with so many great bakeries there’s no good rye.