Food gifts from LA

There’s some world-class rye bread around here, just nothing very similar to Langer’s. We have some in that general style. Acme’s has good flavor, but it’s not as dense as I want it to be for that purpose and it tends to fall apart if you slice it (which you have to do yourself) as thin as it should be.

http://acmebread.com/bread/rye

I haven’t tried Wise Sons’, its locations are really inconvenient for me.

The reason I usually go with Little John’s is the KISS theory–I like to keep it simple. Grab & go stuff always works best. Anytime someone goes on vacation (Hawaii is a popular destination), there’s always a box of something for the staff when they return. Last week there was a box of chocolate covered pineapple–that was gone in 1/2 hour.

1 Like

Parking is best either first thing in the morning before 10:30ish (the merchants open @ 9am) or I usually have pretty good luck parking in the North Market (the area over by the Container Store). It’s actually really great there in the morning. I was there today @ 8:30—parking was a breeze, nice and quiet, no crowds. It was even easy to get out of there @ 4:30 (I was surprised about that).

I think that’s a sensible strategy. I was just being a little cheeky and pointing out that Langer’s pastrami is best enjoyed in minimalist fashion.

Understood and agree. No harm in being cheeky!

1 Like

Thanks for the parking tips. I usually get there after 11 ish since (a) I’m on vacation, so I don’t like to set the alarm/get up early unless really necessary and (b) I stay in Valencia, near where my son lives.

1 Like

Anyone know if the toffee is gluten free? This is the closest I can find to an ingredient list…

unsalted raw almonds mixed with butter and sugar on the inside, unsalted dry-roasted almonds that stick to milk chocolate on the outside.

Toffee is usually not made with flour or other grains… cant imagine why you would add it but with any allergen it might be best to call and ask.

2 Likes

agreed---- I would just call. They make everything in-house, so they should be able to answer that question on any of their products.

2 Likes

Yes it is.

3 Likes