French vanilla ice cream

Where are the very rich, custardy, egg yolky, and vanilla-y French Vanilla ice creams in the LA/OC area?

I recently discovered Creamistry has an amazing French vanilla with the Straus organic cream but it was $7. :grin:

Please help me not pay $7 for a scoop of ice cream.

2 Likes

Fosselmanā€™s

2 Likes

Yes.

The husbands favorite ice cream flavor isā€¦ vanilla. (And yet I married him!)

Anyhow, he is very VERY picky about his vanillas and Fosselmanā€™s french vanilla is one of his favs.

He also likes their ā€œplainā€ vanilla, saying itā€™s very flavorful.

1 Like

I have had the French vanilla at Fosselmanā€™s, but only in the prepackaged 1/2 gallon tubs. Is this ice cream of different quality than the scoops versions from where the scoops come from?

McConnellā€™s is also excellent, but look for it to be called ā€œGolden State Vanillaā€

1 Like

I am not going to askā€¦

Baskin Robbins has a French vanilla, not at every store. Remeber, you like an amazing, creamy, eggy, vanilla-y icecream, Strauss Dairy is not cheap, eggs are not cheap and I am sure they are using Nielssen Massey Camilla, also not cheap, if they use Tahitian vanilla then you are talking 2 or 3 times as much as bourbon vanilla. Sometime quality costs money. That said, Fosselmanā€™s, McConnells and Baskin Robbins should satisfy you addiction.

Is this some sort of anti-French thing like ā€œfreedom friesā€ and ā€œliberty toast?ā€

Hahha, Iā€™ll give it a try though. I am at GCM quite semi often.

It is also made with liquid nitrogen. The Strauss organic cream was extra cost for the base but I said what the heck. Then I realized that when they rang it up it was $7. Iā€™ll buy it every once in a while, but damn buying 4 ice creams was $30 Hahaha.

That is a lot of Fosselmanā€™s or Baskin Robbinā€™s! Liquid Nitrogen, ugh, great gimmick butā€¦

Salt N Straw has a double fold vanilla, not sure what that means. Iā€™ve actually never tried it but based on the quality of their other ice creams possibly using a similar base Iā€™d have to assume its good.

And itā€™s definitely <$7 but not that much less.

Oh nevermind, looks like they dropped the flavor: https://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=170939

Checked the McConnellā€™s website, and itā€™s gone from there, too. Assholes.

Since itā€™s been five years and still no sign of French Vanilla ice cream in LA, how about vanilla custard from places like Bruxieā€™s or Shake Shack?

How about the ā€˜old fashioned vanillaā€™ at Sweet Rose? They use a tahitian vanilla for flavoring.

I would definitely consider frozen custard too. Blvd sold at Whole Foods and others has a really nice vanilla frozen custard.

Maybe we should just change this to the ā€œVanilla Ice Cream and Custardā€ thread.

They just donā€™t want us to have nice things.

While not French Vanilla, I have enjoyed the Ugandan Vanilla at Jeniā€™s. Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve had it, though.

I think it was in another thread - or maybe even back on CH - that someone (ipse?) made the point that most places use Madagascar, and not the more potent Mexican or Tahitian.

Hence my enjoyment of Jeniā€™s.

When most brands had phased-out French Vanilla 5 years ago, McConnellā€™s French Vanilla and then later ā€œGolden State Vanillaā€ (same flavor, just a new name) was how I came to hear of the brand. The fact that the GSV flavor was really good also helped, but damn, theyā€™ve really ticked me off now!

Nevermind, I love French vanilla as well and SRā€™s is not eggy enough nor has a strong enough vanilla flavor. (the fig jam with salty crumble OTOH yum).

Oh, you can ask. Great guy. Cute. Funny. Good eater : )

But still, after more years married than is probably legal in LA I still ask ā€œVanilla? Really?ā€

1 Like