Fried Chicken Rundown

That looks like KFC.

1 Like

It was much better than KFC. Not as greasy. But it did not have the secret blend of spices.

1 Like

You ate all 18 wings by yourself!?

I was satisfied with 4, though I could go for 9.

1 Like

Haha satisfied with 4 but could have went for 9. That could be the FTC motto.

Split the 18 piece and the jjampoong with my wife and 2 kids. It was the perfect amount but if we had maybe 25% more noodles nobody would have complained. The jjampoong place at the source does not have sari. Most noodle places do. Oh well.

2 Likes

Driving, I was starving and a KFC was right in front of me so I went and just ordered a la carte breasts. One original one extra crispy.

They were the best I’ve had at KFC in years. Even the original recipe was crispy and they weren’t greasy at all, probably right out of the pressure cooker fryer thingie.

Wish the extra crispy had the same seasonings as the original.

If the chicken was always that good… damn!

7 Likes

What’s everyone’s current favorite fried chicken that isn’t Korean/Asian? Anywhere LA/OC. Thanks!

1 Like

A couple to try howlin rays, gus’, honeys golden fried, and yard bird.

3 Likes

I haven’t been exploring so I’m a little rusty. It’s hard to know if a once loved (or really liked) place is still good. But here are mine.

Howlin’ Ray’s - of course, but they’re sandwich & wing delivery only right now. :smirk:

Yardbird at Beverly Center - Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Chicken & Cheddar Waffles. Pricey but enough food for two. Beware, lard is one of the ingredients.

Hotville at Crenshaw Shopping Center - Nashville Hot Fried Chicken. Not a bad substitute for Howlin’ Ray’s and no line. Psst… I like their Fried Fish best.

Met Her at a Bar in Mid-City - Thai-style Fried Chicken & Waffles w/Tom Yum Seasoning.

8 Likes

Thanks @hungryhungryhippos and @TheCookie!

I gotta try Yardbird one of these days. I love lard.
And Gus’s in Long Beach has actually been my go-to the last few years.

And I should have said besides Howlin’ Ray’s. :grin:

2 Likes

Does anyone here like Tokyo Fired Chicken Co in MPk?

I liked it! It’s a bit salty and sides are meh. I like Gus’ better and Hotville better than Gus’. So I’ve never made the effort to get back there in recent times. But it was very popular in 2019, so if it’s still the same, you may have to wait a bit for a table.

1 Like

We recently tried Tokyo Fried Chicken for the first time and were pleasantly surprised. The chicken was good but not outstanding with all the current options available: not super juicy, a decent crust but it was neither super crunchy or crispy. It did hold up well over a 20 minute drive or so and I would probably get their chicken over Dave’s Hot Chicken which was the next most recent fried chicken we’d had.

The dashi braised collards and potato salad really surprised us, though. I thought the dashi would feel like a tacked on detail that was either overwhelming or lost with the bacon and pot liquor but it added a nice depth that I like in braised greens that was surprisingly well balanced if a touch sweet. Likewise the potato salad kind of reminded me of a sweeter Korean potato salad but in a more American style with bacon. Well executed and I’d like to try them both again to see if the quality is consistent.

Good but typical cabbage with sesame dressing the same as you’d get elsewhere.

3 Likes

@TheCookie for regular one-person’s fried chicken craving, I’ve been happy with Pikunico at ROW DTLA with flavorful and moist thigh cut. I usually have this and Yaki Imo :jp:

Pikunico
(213) 278-0407

I haven’t been back to Gol Tong Chicken since before the pandemic but it used to be my favorite :kr: KFC in Ktown. Balance batter, juicy interior, perfectly crisp. The owner fried each oder one by one so there is a little wait. Good sauces, tho I always eat the basic one with sauces on the side.

Gol Tong Chicken
(213) 716-6116

Shiku at Grand Central Market is good with F&F desserts, haha. Yoshi San at Kaneyoshi And Jack at Endorffeine approved. I should try it out sometimes.

Shiku
(213) 265-7211

For fastfood I like Cane’s, particularly in Texas. Those locations in the West coast ain’t at gold somehow.

Other options that are good for sharing:

Yangban wings are meaty and nice, 1-2 wings with sides are enough for one. I finished the whole order and got tired after third wings since the sauce is quite sweet. Best to eat right away, Togo will get soggy so I would not get Togo wings myself.

Yangban Society

Town Hof & Thanks Chicken is well like in Ktown, they have some good spicy sides.

타운호프 Town Hof & Thanks Chicken
(323) 998-0818

Twozone Chicken is mild and well fried, the meet inside is just a tad dry just like Town Hof & Thanks Chicken but still acceptable. I ate this last Christmas somehow, haha.

Twozone Chicken - 8th
(213) 819-9899

Long story short, I like fried chicken a lot and I’m still looking for my ideal fried chicken in LA. Please let me know if you have a place you love so much and can’t live without. Mine was in SF and it recent closed permanently at the end of July.
The Lucky Pig

Oh I miss this perfectly brined and moist fried chicken the most. So flavorfully and reheating the best even after refrigerated… I only ate this fried chicken spot when I lived in the city.

18 Likes

Hi @Armillaria

Good report! I’ve had a couple on your list. ROW was one of our go-tos during the lockdown, as it was wide open with lotsa space and few pedestrians. We’d get the Hayato Bento Box and Fried Chicken at Pikunico. I also like the Fried Chicken Sandwich at Cane’s.

Food Talkers had (have?) a major love affair with Howlin’ Ray’s at Far East Plaza. Their business model has changed and is curiously still Postmates pickup & delivery only, but it’s still pretty excellent.

We usually get the Country Level (no spice) and the Mild (spicy) or the Medium (pretty darn spicy) and never skip the long stewed Greens. :yum:

Happy Fried Chicken Eating!

13 Likes

So, I can’t go buy it myself and pick it up?

You can place the order on Postmates and pick up. You can place the order on Postmates there while you wait or you can line up and they can take your order there.
overall the lines are not as long as before and most people are just waiting for their orders when you see a bunch of people there

5 Likes
5 Likes

Bump,

I have cravings for Korean Fried Chicken. Where are good places to get them between Orange and Pasadena?

I heard Pelicana is a good spot. What other good KFC spots are there?

1 Like
3 Likes

What @Ns1 said. There is a new location in Brea right off the 57. Not a lot of seating inside though. Maybe 6 tables total.

We enjoy Pelicana and Furai as well. Furai is a play on words and how old school Koreans would pronounce fry. It’s funny if you’re in on the joke.

6 Likes