Fried Chicken Rundown

What are your other favorite flavors besides Honey Garlic?

I mentioned this in my post for Howlin Rays… but Tokyo Fried Chicken has opened in DTLA and YAYAYAYYAY!!! YAYAAYAYAYYYYY!!!

Tokyo Fried Chicken is a place I loved so much… I took my Mom there. Very few places have earned the Connie seal of approval. But their super crunchy umami bomb, almost funky (Koji?) fried chicken made my incredible cook of a mom say….wow.

But I haven’t been there since the Pandemic because their location is super small… rather cramped…. There was always a line and as of late, they have even been closed for remodeling, hopefully for a much bigger place…

But for now, their location in DTLA is ready and open for dining in! For the last few weeks it had been take out only… but today I went in and found such a bright and open space. This is just one side… they have a whole other side as well!

Although they are still in their soft open phase, likely it has more to do with the hours. The menu is pretty identical to the OG Location! All was available and i love that they sell by piece!!

I got my favorite things… A Drumstick, a wing and a tender. I also ordered the Mac and Cheese… I don’t remember having that and their pickled cabbage. I do remember that and I LOVE IT!! It is gently pickled with a whisper of ginger. I much prefer munching on these than I do most cole slaws.

As I waited for my order, they came by with a sample of their Kombocha Squash Soup! It was super good! I fact, I saved half to dip my tender in. YOM!

Then my order came.

For the tender, I choose their Tokyo Mayo, which is a great, It had a similar taste to sesame dressing. It went well with the nice big tender. They seem to marinate their tender as well and I ended up liking it better than the one I had recently at Howlin Rays

Drumsticks are my favorite which is why I was so happy I didn’t have to choose between a dark combo or light combo. I don’t remember their drum sticks being this huge!!

It was meaty and delicious. The wing was also great, especially with their shichimi shake that makes it just a touch spicy. I barely had room for even a bite of this mini pan of Mac and Cheese!

Like everything else, they certainly put their stamp on this Mac N Cheese. The seaweed shake lent an almost spinachy flavor to each bite. There was a generous amount of cheese and it had nice pull. I love the crunchies in it. But in the end, I prefer the Mac n Cheese at Honeybird for its more complex cheesy taste.

With the location being not far from the 7th and Metro station, it’s a great spot for a lunch when going to the Alamo, stopping by Whole Foods, or anything else in the central DTLA area.

20 Likes

do you still get plastic gloves?

NO! Thank god. What a waste!!