Frying pan for shallow frying

There is no point in getting a pan that won’t be used!

2 Likes

Nice for you. I’ve had stuff stick and it’s essential to be able to slide a metal spatula underneath to dislodge it.

1 Like

If 'stuff" sticks on a nonstick pan then you have some kind of problem.

2 Likes

Maybe a slight adjustment is necessary.

That is part of the reason they changed it. The new version is not only preseasoned, but lighter.

1 Like

I just bought the last like 10 piece set on Black Friday and maybe I got the wrong ones because they are super heavy

1 Like

By “frying”, I am assuming use of fat. When frying, sticking most often occurs when one tries to turn a piece before it has established a crust. Perhaps technique comes into play more than vessel.

Misen has extended the Kickstarter through today, and offers a rebate if you have previously purchased the heavier, non-seasoned pans. Perhaps it will work for you.

1 Like

Can’t wait until Nov 2022

1 Like

For you but not for me.

I agree. Sometimes it helps to push the stuff around in the fat a bit at first.

Coated pans creep me out, haven’t used them in years. Maybe the coating’s totally nontoxic but I’d rather not eat it.

I use hard-anodized and it’s not as nonstick.

1 Like

Well, we all have our phobias, rational and not.

It’s not a phobia. It just became clear that the coating was ending up in our food, and I knew from experience not to trust assurances from the FDA or USDA that things are safe. Margarine’s better for you than butter! [decadess later] Oops, sorry, it’s 17 times worse.

1 Like

Okey-dokey.

Does anyone have any experience with nonstick ceramic is that superior or inferior to hard anodized non stick? Can that be used to shallow fry?

I assume ceramic there’s not as much concern with forever chemicals, correct?

America’s Test Kitchen had a segment on the latest ceramic non-stick offerings and concluded that they generally don’t last as long as “regular” non-stick pans.

And then there’s this from The Wirecutter:

The biggest complaint about “ceramic” pans is that their nonstick properties don’t last as long. We asked friends and family how long their sol-gel cookware lasted, and they all said about one year—and that they’d never buy it again. So we focused on pans with PTFE-based nonstick coatings, because they last longer than those with sol-gel coatings (which is one reason why ceramic pans aren’t particularly “green,” since you have to replace them more often).

2 Likes

Misen is having an overstock sale… their 10 inch right now is like $33

3 Likes

Have I asked why people’s nonstick pans don’t last? I have some that are certainly 15 years old with not a single scratch. I use only wood or plastic. And they weren’t expensive to begin with. ???

Probably being used hard -ie at too high a temp or heated empty. I think you are the outlier here that you take such good care of your non stick. Really I think it’s best to buy cheap non stick and throw 'em out if they get scratched up or worn.

Thanks for your input. I’m not prissy about such things at all. And, yeah, I guess temp-wise I don’t abuse them. I have pots and skillets. Yay! :slight_smile:

1 Like