FTC Confessions

And your friends let you sleep throughout the other courses or woke you up ?

2 Likes

That’s one of the reasons I don’t drink hard liquor until after dinner. Though I rarely drink it after dinner either.

Yes I woke up after a quick snooze and had every subsequent course and even some dessert but no more wine.

8 Likes

I got really drunk prior to Quitonil in Mexico City. It was the early days of Airbnb and our hosts were this young hip Mexican couple and they lived in the same building as the flat we were renting out. They had a roof top bbq with a couple of their friends and invited us and we proceeded to have many beers and quite a few sipping “shots” of mezcal.

I went to quintonil pretty toasty and proceeded to kind of brown out during the meal because we kept on ordering wine and cocktails quite a few of the dishes were very very hazy for me. My recollection is every thing tasted delicious but I’m not sure. We definitely had an amazing time though.

2 Likes

No, but only b/c I literally cannot tolerate hard liquor. My second experience w/ hard liquor: 2 “sips” of Port (partner thought it was sips, I think I literally dipped my tongue in the glass twice).

~30 mins later, I keep commenting that I feel like I’ve been drugged.

~45 mins after ingestion, I fall asleep.

When I woke up 12 hrs later, I felt as though I had barely gotten any sleep at all. A friend asked, “Do you think you were hung over???” After that question, I thought about a similar occurrence after my first sips ever of hard liquor a few yrs prior.

No more liquor for the garliclover…

4 Likes

Wow! That’s a pretty severe reaction.

Sorry to hear that you have such a severe reaction probably better for your health that you don’t/can’t drink.

1 Like

Indeed. Thankfully, I don’t have much of a taste for alcohol (in any form), so it’s not a big deal for me to skip it.

1 Like

Strange. Hard liquor is typically 35-45% ABV, port 19-22%, wine 12-15%. So two sips of port is as much alcohol as three sips of wine. Maybe you have a reaction to some distillation byproduct other than the alcolhol.

Maybe the sulfites? My partner also had a reaction like that to it.

1 Like

That’s not related to ABV. I don’t think port usually has added sulfites as fortifying it with aguardiente has a similar protective effect. If you were sensitive to sulfites you’d probably have issues with wine rather than hard liquor.

A friend used to get a headache and dizzy from red wine, but had no problem with aged reds or whites, which suggested that it was a reaction to tannins.

Oh, perhaps (since I can def have more than 3 sips of wine w/o any ill effects).

Didn’t like the taste of whatever port I had, though, so I have not much of a temptation to another one to see what would happens. :wink:

I like the smell of some hard liquors like scotch and such but, since I don’t much like the taste of alcohol, I’m fine just sticking w/ the sniff…

2 Likes

Yes, but when I was 25yo, lol… Was in Miami, went to a birthday dinner at Joe’s Stone Crabs. Had gone pier fishing earlier in the day and had polished off two six-packs. Had a few more drinks at the restaurant. Come time to order, one of my friends convinces me to order mahi-mahi, which I’d never had. After my first bite, he whispers “dude, you know that’s dolphin, right?” At which point, drunken immature me decides to accost the waiter and general manager that I refuse to eat dolphin and that I’m offended they would serve it on the menu. My friend realizes it’s gone too far, sits me down, orders another drink, after which at some point, I passed out at the table, only to wake up the next morning on the ground back at my friend’s house. Like you, I don’t think I can ever go back to Joe’s Stone Crab.

6 Likes

Only when I happen to hit 10 shots of tequila in one sitting on very little food and water.

Or when dinner is accompanied by 3 bottles of wine and a fair amount of whiskey and cognac shared between 3 people.

No judgment here. Work hard, play hard.

6 Likes

I have spent $720 on Prime Pizza by myself YTD.

9 Likes

You are worth it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wowww you are probably 40% prime now.

Hope you’ve been stacking the rewards!

2 Likes

26 weeks
~$28 per week
~1 pie per week
Not too shabby

1 Like

So if you order via toast or use your credit card when paying they have a rewards machine connected to the payment system. At least the one in el segundo does.

You get reward for pizza and stuff based on how much you spend. I’ve gotten like 2 pizzas worth.

7 Likes

I will need to look into this… I have not gotten anything! (although I don’t order Prime as much as other folks do…)

1 Like