Full of Beans... Rancho Gordo Heirloom Beans

Yep! At the market they are known as Peruvian Beans. My mom loves them to make refried beans. They are SUPER creamy.

1 Like

I never purchased Mayocobas (Peruvian beans) but I think they came in a Bean Club box and I finally made them. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Nightmare Fuel… your fridge starts making noises immediately after the Holidays!!!

oh NOES!!! Luckily P is pretty handy and diagnosed it with the obvious culprit… My love for Surfas Frozen Baguettes… they had overloaded the freezer and the fridge got all stopped up with ice on the inside, we did the best we could from the outside and basically decided to focus on just clearing the whole thing out to shut it down for a good reset. We are almost all cleared out, one of the final things was some Turkey Thighs which is the perfect thing for Chili and the new (for me!) Rancho Gordo beans I picked up, the Moros!

I remember @TheCookie mentioning these guys so when I saw them at Monsieur Marcels, I had to snap them up. Just as she had described them before, they are a lovely bean. Medium sized and very hearty!

They made a wonderful addition to my Turkey Chili, present but not overpowering.

I used Diced tomatoes for the Chili this time for more of a stewy profile and the liquor of these beans was so tasty. Just wonderful dinner this weather…

–Dommy!

3 Likes

Hi @dommy!

Glad you liked the Moros. Great chili bean! I cooked a pot for Christmas Day, but I think my batch might’ve been in the cupboard too long. They’re a long cooking bean but these were looong cooking. Even after soaking for about 8hrs and cooking between 3-4hrs they were still a little dense, but the thick skin eventually softened and they got creamy and of course that rich bean gravy. :hearts:

Also made basmati rice w/a white rice recipe from @aaqjr that calls for first sautéing the rice, white onion & garlic w/butter & vedge oil then simmering in chicken stock w/cilantro. I overcooked it a bit but I’ll get it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Lol I’m having a freezer overload problem too.

2 Likes

YOM!!! My mom makes rice like that to go with her Cochinita. She just uses grocery store bucket rice… It’s awesome with this type of long grain rice. Last night P made Cabbage rolls, so I made a small bit of Woon Jasmine white rice. Has a small amount left over and so I put in a little butter and a drizzle of barrel aged soy sauce and OMG. Childhood level happiness.

For lunch today I finished off the beans and liquor I had left over with brown rice, some of the Pollo Pibil P makes and onion, cilantro, squeeze of lime. I could eat this EVERYDAY.

1 Like
2 Likes

Another Ful M effort this time over white bean dip.

5 Likes

Had more fun with the Mayocobas and Moros these past few weeks.

First, the Mayocobas made the BEST Super Bowl Bean dip. I made them how I usually do, added them to the Vitamix with a little bit of their liquor and then once they got nice and pureed… added about 1/4 cup water slowly and on high. It just really fluffed up the texture and that wasn’t all…

When I took them out of the blender and into the bowl, I then added about 3 tbs of Trader Joes Fluffy Garlic Paste. I let the flavors mellow overnight and served with Lemon Pepper Pita Chips. We didn’t go guac this year and didn’t miss it at all.

And now to the Moros!

@js76wisco recently asked about the new Bianco Pizza sauce. We still haven’t tried that yet and will soon, I am sure. But they also came out recently with fire roasted tomatoes.

I just had to try these in a Chili. So I made Chicken Chili with Chicken Thighs and although some diced tomatoes have a hard time breaking down… these do not at all! I was left with a nice thick chili!

And the fire roasted flavor in the tomatoes was really nice. It blended well with the beans, chili spice and other ingredients I added to make this a knock out chili.

I got two cans of this at Gjusta Grocery in Venice. Will be using the second can super soon to blitz into some Chicken Tortilla Soup. CAN’T WAIT.

6 Likes

How much do you like beans? Odds are, you don’t like them as much as the folks who are subscribed to Rancho Gordo’s Bean Club (which has so many members, there are twenty-six thousand people waiting to join!).

1 Like

I’m those women in the video! Discovering RG Beans was like finding religion! Lol. I used to get surprised folks didn’t wanna talk about my new religion as much as me and get irritated when finding out peeps aren’t using the beans I give them. They are stricken from the list immediately lol. But I have converted a few. We have our own mini bean club! :beans:

This week it’s Christmas Lima Beans (aka calico beans) w/Prosciutto & Blue Cheese

The texture is kinda like a chestnut but gets creamy with longer cooking. Not as waxy, starchy as green lima beans. They’re mild in flavor and adding a salty pork product and blue cheese adds punchy flavor. The recipe called for pancetta and gorgonzola sauce. I had an unopened package of prosciutto that needed consuming and delicious Big Rock blue cheese. I didn’t make the rich blue cheese sauce, instead crumbled it on top and added sautéed prosciutto & pan drippings.

Gotta do a warm shot of bean gravy!

5 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

No short cutting on richness with this one…

Brothy Heirloom Beans With Cream

A Bon Appétit recipe. I love my cookbooks but also value feedback from the comments section of online recipes. This dish took a couple of days because I read comments stating the three beans should be cooked separately as they don’t cook at the same rate (knew that) and stirring in the cream too soon makes the broth a grayish color. Good tip. I cooked the beans separately, mixed them together then poured in warmed cream. Color in tact. Delicious was cooking the beans in leftover broth from the previous batch.

So rich. So good. :hearts:

3 Likes

Yummy! Looks great :blush:

2 Likes

finally got around to ordering my rancho gordo beans
I got:

1. Alubia
  2. Ayocote
  3. Moro
  4. Buckeye
  5. Garbanzo
    6.Cassoulet

Anyone have a recommendation on a great recipe for any of those beans?

2 Likes

Welcome to FTC Bean Club @hungryhungryhippos.

1st rule of Bean Club - tell everyone about Bean Club.

I make a simple pot of beans the same way then build from there. Soak for a few hours w/tbls baking soda & tsp salt in purified water (Britta or Mavea if you have, if not tap is fine), discard water, rinse. Cook beans w/whole carrot, whole celery stalk, chopped onion or shallots, whole or chopped garlic, olive oil, bay leaves, pepper, add any spice/herb & meat (later) for whatever flavor profile you want or not. Cover w/stock & bottled or purified water, boil 5 mins then reduce heat, simmer low and slow, check every 30 mins, salt when beans are soft, sometimes I add butter to vegetarian beans, end with skosh of red wine vinegar or whatever you have. Discard carrot, celery, bay leaves.

You made excellent choices! There’s some good recipes up-thread and a lot on RGs website. Do a search of your bean on RGs site and it will come up with all kinds of goodness.

Tips on your beans:

1. Alubia - relatively fast cooking bean, don’t need to soak long, cook gently (the skins split. I think our resident science guy/gal @WireMonkey suggests soaking in salt to prevent splitting), check after 30 minutes. They absorb so many flavors. I use them a lot. A good one is w/alubias, anchovies, capers, sundried tomatoes.
  2. Ayocote - Negro or Blanco? @dommy has a recipe up-thread for the Ayocote Negro - frijoles con puerco w/a small amount of pork shoulder. The Ayocote Blanco is one of my favorite white beans. So creamy. I like them w/a drizzle of olive oil, flaky salt & crusty bread, can add parmesan. They also make good white bean chicken chili.
  3. Moro - love moros - dark & rich, like the best of a pinto & black bean but better. Great chili bean. They are quite dense and cook a long time. Suggest soak 3+ hrs w/tbls baking soda & tsp salt.
  4. Buckeye - One of my favorites! Good flavor, creamy bean & beautiful luscious broth. Good for chili & side for tacos & carne asada & on salads too.
  5. Garbanzo - Hummus! I’m still working on a recipe that works for me but a tip that works to soften and make them creamier is baking soda in the cooking water.
    6.Cassoulet I love the cassoulet bean and have made cassoulet but decided I’m not going to attempt it again until I have a proper cassoulet pan. Serving them with braised bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs is really good.

Most of the beans cook differently so it’s trial & error until you become familiar with a particular bean. I make notes under the photo or in my Bean Passport… yes, RG sells a Bean Passport with stickers! Lol. Feel free to ask any questions. In case you haven’t guessed this is one of my favorite subjects. :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll start posting more of my bean dishes.

Happy Bean Eating!

7 Likes

Cassoulet Beans (grown in California from French tarbais seeds)…

White Bean Chicken Chili w/Cassoulet Beans

Cassoulet beans are filling, creamy, kinda starchy with a thick broth. The texture of the cassoulet bean chili is similar to a chili with pinto beans. I’m sure I’m committing some kind of sin using cassoulet beans for chili. So here’s another one… they make great refried beans too! :blush:

Cassoulet Beans, Baked Chicken Thighs, Topped w/Lemon & Pan Drippings

Dips…

Cassoulet Beans, Soom Tahini, Whipped Garlic Spread, Lemon, Parsley, Salt, White Pepper, Topped w/Olive Oil, Everything Bagel Seasoning, Sumac, Lemon Peel, Parsley

Cassoulet Beans, Soom Tahini, Whipped Garlic Spread, Lemon, Parsley, Salt, White Pepper, Topped w/Cassoulet Beans, Olive Oil, Sumac

Alubia Blanca (orig. in USA. Similar to cannellini)…

Chicken & Bean Soup w/Alubia Blanca

This has pretty much the same spices as the cassoulet chili (aromatics, penzys adobo, cumin, coriander, mexican oregano, dried epazote, chili de arbol molido, smoked salt) except the alubia blanca makes a lighter broth good for soups… oh and the cassoulet bean chili had a little beer in it.

Alubia Blanca Beans Topped w/roasted tomatoes, anchovies, olive oil, parsley, red pepper flakes

The next day I added this deliciousness discovered at Mom’s at BH farmers market. I’m now trying to put it on everything. :slightly_smiling_face:

Buckeyes! (Orig. USA) Look at that rich bean broth!

Chicken Mole Chili w/Moro Beans (part of the Rancho Gordo-XOXOC Project. Beans Originated in Puebla, Mexico). Black Mole from Chiles Secos at GCM

A bowl of beans is always better sopped up with toasty bread slathered in butter or olive oil.

I’ve got a lot more bean dishes but I’m tired. :slightly_smiling_face: TBC…

Happy Bean Eating! :beans:

7 Likes

Yum!

2 Likes

I’ve used Tarbais a lot but the best cassoulets I ever made were with some huge purple bean we used to get 25+ years ago from Phipps Ranch in Pescadro. Maybe Scarlet Runners?

2 Likes

Going to cook my first set of beans tomorrow/the next day. Some questions:

1. How many hours should i soak one bag of beans? Is it possible to oversoak?
  2. Is that salt necessary during soaking process or is that just added flavor?
  3. Should I be checking beans every 30 minutes after cooking or do some have longer cooking times?
2 Likes

I usually soak overnight. I don’t think I’ve ever oversoaked.

Salt does slow the softening of dried beans, but adding it early also gets salt into the bean interior, while adding late leaves most of the salt on or near the surface. If you’re thinking ahead early enough to presoak the beans, salt in the presoaking water actually speeds the cooking, in addition to salting the beans evenly.

https://archive.nytimes.com/dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/harold-mcgee-on-salt/

How long dried beans take to cook depends on how fresh they are and various other things. Chickpeas can definitely need a lot more than 30 minutes. Old beans sometimes never get soft.

1 Like