Full of Beans... Rancho Gordo Heirloom Beans

:flushed: O M G

[yes discord that is a complete sentence]

1 Like

TBC…

[yes discord that is a complete sentence]

1 Like

Buckeyes formerly known as Yellow Indian Woman

Rancho Gordo got some flack for the original name (which is the actual name of the bean) and changed it to Buckeye. I think they could’ve come up with a prettier name than Buckeye as a replacement lol. But they still have the same creamy texture and same delicious velvety broth. A rose by any other name…

Did them simple. Soaked in salt & baking soda for about 2.5hrs. Discarded water, rinsed and put everything in the pot together - beans, brown onion, garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaf, Mexican oregano, dried epazote, chili powder, butter & olive oil with water & chicken stock. Boiled for about 5 mins then simmered about 1.5hrs, added smoked salt the last 30 minutes & skosh of banana vinegar at the end. Fished out bay leaves, carrot, celery and ate beans with toasty French bread & drizzle of olive oil.

Gotta do a shot (or two) of delicious bean broth.

Midnight Black Beans (black turtle bean)

Soaked in water salt & baking soda about 2.5hrs, discarded water & rinsed. Simmered in water & stock for about 1.5 hrs w/sautéed shallots, garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaves & chili powder, adobo seasoning, coriander, dried epazote, butter (I add a little butter when I’m not using a fatty meat :wink:), added salt & concentrated chicken stock the last 30 minutes & skosh of banana vinegar at the end. Fished out carrot, celery, bay leaves and served as a side topped with white onions, cilantro and squirt of lime. This is a great bean that holds it’s shape beautifully.

Shot!

Even after discarding soaking liquid the cooking liquid still turned purple black & produced a dark rich broth.

Happy Bean Eating!

4 Likes