Gaudy, Theatrical, Fun-ish? - Molecular Gastronomy at The Bazaar [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

13 Likes

OMG! That is awful.

I hope you send a link to this review to management

4 Likes

You are too damn nice. If the kitchen was just sending out food and I was already full, I would have told the fake italian server to send this back cause we don’t want it. That would have stopped his shenanigans right there.

6 Likes

Unacceptable service. I would’ve asked the manager to comp all the dishes that came after you asked them to stop…at the very least the white truffle supplement

As far as that flan goes, I don’t know what it is, but restaurants can’t seem to get their flan right since I always see bubbles on flans. They’re an eye sore and indicate that the flan’s overcooked…however slight!

Jose Andres’ Jaleo in Vegas almost got it right:

Bouchon in Vegas got it right:

Mine isn’t too shabyy either:

5 Likes

That smarmy jerk of a server was totally taking advantage of your large group…the nerve! Sorry for your less than mediocre service. I hope you let the management team know. I’d have called him out with the manager on duty in addition to sending back all the extras.
I really love the simple dishes on the Bazaar menu…pan con tomate with the Bellota is just sublime. I’m a sucker for the salt air margarita there. Regarding the flan, I believe it’s Chef Andres’ grandmother’s recipe. It’s probably my favorite flan in the city.

5 Likes

Thanks @aaqjr @tailbacku I think we would’ve normally spoken to the manager to complain, but we didn’t want to make a big scene with all of our out-of-town friends. And we had plans after dinner, and for them, besides being way too full, they all had a good time in general, wow’d by the molecular gastronomy and “magic drinks” and there were some decent to very good dishes. In hindsight, I would’ve just excused myself to go to the “restroom” while I went to seek out the manager to talk about what the server was doing. Oh well.

1 Like

I think this is an “easy target” flag for waiters seeking to bump their night’s taking. Especially at fancy places with small plates and many supplements. Unfortunately I’ve been a victim of this (albeit not at Bazaar). And they know you won’t make a scene in front of your guests.

1 Like

Can I order some of yours?:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I actually have gotten good service during my last two visit to Bazaar (SLS BH and Bazaar Mar in Miami). Go figure. But then again, we ordered what we wanted.

@Chowseeker1999 oh why oh why didn’t you just do the Chef’s Favorites Tasting Menu? If I recall it’s around $100 or 125pp and is a much better deal than ordering a la carte. Everything was pretty good and we left happy, super fun meal with the company we had.

(Click below to see full list, it’s cut off in thumbnail)

3 Likes

I hate the bazaar… will never go back again.

What did you hate about it? I still haven’t been there!

Great report.

Speaking solely to the food (I don’t care to explore the service issues), in reading your report, it seems, to me, that the misses were few (and, truth be told, pretty minor) but the hits were mostly very high quality dishes. One can argue if the Bazaar is “'worth it” value-wise (knowing that worth it to one person might mean nothing to another) but the general quality of food-wise and ambiance-wise is very, very high.

For those of us who recall the lack of this kind of dining in LA for many, many decades, the Bazaar should be counted as an LA treasure.

5 Likes

I’m betting that Jose’ Andres himself would be interested in reading your ‘report.’ You clearly know your way around food and dining and I believe he’d want the feedback.

1 Like

I’d hope, if Jose did read it, that he’d fire that waiter immediately.

2 Likes

Ditto…

Well, well.

http://www.joseandres.com/en_us/contact-us

Thanks for the Flan pics. Your homemade one looks wonderful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Thanks, yah the server was unfortunate. :frowning: I agree, I really like the dishes you listed. The pan con tomate had great flavor. :slight_smile:

Hi @DTLAeater,

Thanks for the link. Our waiter didn’t even give us that page (it wasn’t in our menu). Ugh.

I don’t even see it on the website, but we called ahead to ask for it. Maybe it’s a low key thing.

1 Like

We had that every day we were in Barcelona and it’s surprising how different it can taste. Actually it’s probably not so surprising. All in the ingredients.

Tickets Bar in Barcelona ----->