General Brentwood thread

Santa Monica has one, so why can’t we!

2 Likes

Rosti Tuscan Kitchen: Inedible

Opened within the last few months in the former La Scala → Meet In Paris spot. I don’t know why I expected anything different, given that I have had many a mediocre meal at the Santa Monica location. But this was…worse. Perhaps dining at Rosti is how I atone. It’s never been more than 50% full the many times I have walked/driven by, so I can’t imagine it will be long for this world.

Bacio di Latte: Pricey but solid

I believe the first location of this upscale gelato mini-chain was at Century City. Not the current storefront - I think it started as one of those little freestanding structures in the middle of a walkway vendors. I liked it then, and I like it now. Fresh ingredients, good flavor and spot on consistency. It’s up there with the better gelato I have had in LA, though it doesn’t hold a candle to the average gelateria in Italy - which is not really a fair comparison. I wish they had more seasonal fruit flavors.

1 Like

Reddi Chick: never not satisfying when you want some chicken tenders and fries. They are not special or fussy or anything other than average, but it always hits the spot.

4 Likes

I can walk to Rosti and never been but I do think you are wrong about it not being long for this world lol IIRC they used to have a restaurant right on Barrington across from the cleaner’s. Restaurants don’t always have to be good to be profitable!

1 Like

We ate there (Rosti) a week or two ago and it was packed with people waiting to get in. Food was ok but then it can’t be compared to some of the more pricey places on San Vicente.

1 Like

I had the weirdest prosciutto pizza there (Rosti) a few months after it opened. The prosciutto was cut thick like pastrami which made it super chewy and not enjoyable at all.

2 Likes

Outside of the Ralphs parking lot, there’s a new stand. He does fried bananas and churros (not sure what “churros preparados” means).

It means Churros with Ice Cream and other toppings. :yum:

3 Likes

Anyone who has driven down San Vicente in the past year has likely noticed the extensive construction going on at the shopping center at the corner of San Vicente and Montana. It currently houses a Mendocino Farms and a Bank of America, and used to house a Jamba Juice, Noah’s Bagels, and of course our dearly departed Souplantation, among other establishments. The are rebranding the center to “The Lawn” (if it currently has a name, I couldn’t say). I presume the small outdoor parking lot at street level will be replaced with….a lawn.

A birdie informs me that The Lawn is seeking to sign on a few upscale restaurants for some of its soon to be renovated storefronts.

I was pondering what types of cuisine Brentwood is lacking - certainly not Japanese or Italian. I think a fancier Mexican spot, something like a Mercado or the now departed Maradentro, would do well.

1 Like

99 Ranch Brentwood. With food court.

3 Likes

And he’s gone. :frowning:

I agree with high end Mexican, also something close the the original version of Kato when it was next to Monte Alban would kill it. I’d love a Mini Kabob…

The renderings on the center’s website (https://www.thelawn.com/) make it clear that (1) they plan for a number of restaurants at the ground level and (2) the front parking lot will be replaced with a lawn.

1 Like

Cue Lexus theme song

Makes me wanna die

Have you been here before?
Yes.
How long ago?
Yesterday.
Oh great, so you know how the menu works. Everything is meant to be shared. The dishes under “small dishes” are smaller dishes. Think of them like appetizers.

2 Likes

I think this stand was back last night btw. Didn’t stop to double check but there was a solo table with a colorful umbrella this time just north of the taco stand

1 Like

I had some tacos on Tuesday, so i walked by to check out the churros. Looks legit, they have a copper pot with oil and the batter is extruded in, so they are made to order and can also do fried plantains as well. Looks like they have 4 different sauces also.