Gino’s East - Sherman Oaks

Tried Gino’s (delivery) last night and honestly really liked it. On my trips to Chicago, my favorites were Lou Malnati’s and Pequod’s, but I thought this was a lot better than the knockoffs I’ve had in town (Patxi’s, Masa, Blackbird). Crust was really good, cheese was gooey, and yes–I got my guilty pleasure pepperoni and pineapple. Hate away, but when you’re eating an inauthentic Chicago monstrosity, anything is fair game. Would like to try in person right out of the oven. For two people, a 9 incher is definitely enough.

11 Likes

Pineapple on pizza is my jam too! I always go pineapple sausage. Savory w/sweet just like al pastor.

3 Likes

inauthentic Chicago monstrosity

Hmph. Nothing inauthentic about Gino’s. They’ve been slinging the good shit since 1966. I’m thrilled an actual Chicago place has made it out to the coast.

Mind you, you can find frozen Gino’s at Safeway these days, and it’s pretty much identical to their in restaurant pies.

Nah. My guilty pleasure is jalapenos on pizza, but my wife will only get them with pineapple, and that’s a pretty good combo with sausage and pepperoni.

3 Likes

Pineapple, pepperoni and jalapeños are a good combination!

4 Likes

The Pine Pep Peño Pizza has a ring to it!

3 Likes

Warrior: I think Gino’s is authentic Chicago-style pizza. All Chicago-style pizzas are monstrosities. :speak_no_evil:

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!

I do, however, like Zelo in Arcadia for thick cornmeal crust pizzas with gourmet-ish toppings like pesto. The cornmeal crust is dry and chewy, though, so it’s not for everyone. The salads are pretty good too. Perfect for after hiking in the San Gabriel Mountains.

1 Like

Zelo is one of our favorites: the beet salad is extremely craveable, the veggie pizza options are great (and I’ve a soft spot for their calzones). Their vegetable lasagna is also quite good (though it can be watery), and the zuccato cake is singularly outstanding, though not necessarily visually appealing. (Would be thrilled for someone to reverse engineer it; I’ve not the skills.)

(All that said, they’re not great with takeout - always check the bag and/or boxes, even if you’re pretty sure you saw them gather everything.)

2 Likes