Gjusta or Lodge Bread

Day 4 of Making Lemonade Staycation…
We’re planning to drive up to Malibu tomorrow and grab breakfast along the way. Am wavering between Lodge and Gjusta. My head is leaning towards Lodge but wanted to throw it out to the crowd!

TIA

1 Like

Gjusta.

Cora’s Coffee Shoppe is another great breakfast place (in Santa Monica, near the Viceroy). Try their chorizo con huevos or their huevos rancheros.

While in Malibu, skip the temptation to hit Broad Street Oyster. Enjoy the lemonade staycation!

1 Like

gjusta for the anchovy toast, tomato confit toast and chopped liver toast.

8 Likes

The people-watching at Gjusta can also be priceless.

2 Likes

How about Wexler’s?

Gjusta by a mile and i think they take reservations now?

Neptune’s Net would be way fun for the kiddos for lunch.

1 Like

Malibu Seafood > Neptune’s Net for the food.
Neptunes’ Net > Malibu Seafood for the people watching.

4 Likes

I really like Wexler’s, but some feel that their pastrami is too smoky, and the SaMo location closes at 4PM (argh).

yeah i vote gjusta too. went for the first time kinda recently and i was blown away. if this were in NELA i’d eat there twice a week!

Lodge is meh.

1 Like

Gjusta food is better, but Lodge’s set up is more kid friendly.

Thanks all, I think we’re gonna do Gjusta. And then try one of the seafood joints mentioned above for lunch!

What about Gjelina vs Gjusta for breakfast? Any pref there? Assume I’m going with 14 and 11 yo as well, who are well behaved and love food, but not looking for anything too fancy. Seems like both have great menus…

Lunch

Gjelina is an excellent restaurant.

Gjusta is a counter-service sort of deli. Perhaps the least hospitable place I’ve ever eaten at.

Cora’s was great for years before Marder destroyed it…a real friendly, filled with regulars greasy spoon!

wow, didn’t know Gjelina was open for breakfast…

JL, whats your beef there? I like Broad St…was there early twice, no crowd, and I liked the lobster roll

1 Like

For what it’s worth, they’ve now expanded the seating area far into the parking lot.

1 Like

Same. Thought the food was pretty tasty and the beer selection/garden was great.

3 Likes

Several visits to Broad Street Oyster Co. from my end (2 of my own volition; 2 more cuz I was dragged there by out of town guests): Poor food prep, wrong orders on two visits (one with egregious error in billing), stingy portion on uni supplements, and just not exciting tastes overall. And the wait was interminable for the type of food we were ultimately getting.

But I am happy to hear others have had better experiences there.

3 Likes