Golden Delight…a new Viet-Chinese unlike any other?

I used to visit Japan a couple of times a year and raw egg was served as a dipping sauce for shabu shabu routinely. I don’t see that here but it may be I’m not at the right places. Google searches say it’s more a thing with sukiyaki.

2 Likes

Taiwanese like to do raw egg yolk with sacha sauce as a hot pot dipping sauce.

I don’t eat hot pot in restaurants because I feel it’s pretty easy to do at home. I wanna say raw egg is a huge no no here in the states . Raw egg yolk….maybe.

People in the US are just more paranoid about it.

1 Like

Raw egg tops many, many dishes in Japan. Tamago kake gohan is one of the best simple things in life.

1 Like

When I was growing up, we did the whole raw egg at home.

Can’t imagine doing either raw whole egg or yolk nowadays, though.

We also wash our eggs in the US which removes the anti microbial coating on eggs. It seems that quite a few American food regulations are kind of idiotic.

1 Like

RAW EGG YOLK ALL DAY IN MY HOT POT DIPPING SAUCE BABY.

(yes it’s a complete sentence discourse!)

2 Likes

The LA Times article doesn’t mention raw eggs anywhere.

The only raw eggs in Viet food that I know of is Viet Egg Soda (soda sua hot ga).

I think this conversation stems from Instagram posts where customers requested the raw egg in the stone pot pho. It’s something seen in VN.

There’s also egg coffee.

1 Like

Why? As detailed in the Slate piece I linked to, raw eggs in the US are actually safer than they were in the 80s.

Only b/c I’ve just become accustomed to not eating raw egg (not b/c there’s any logical reason for that).