Great old-timey restaurant experience

are the potatoes mashed WITH a banana, or are there bananas IN the potatoes?
because #1 sounds like a genuine good time, if you have a better banana than i do, but #2 sounds truly revolting.

2 Likes

haven’t been to carmine’s in years.
it was so awful the last time i went, i have no desire to return.

I didn’t want to out & out slam the food. That’s what I have my @westsidegal for… Hehehe. But you’re kinda’ right. Have to admit - I used to get their food for our company holiday party, but switched to Maggianos the last few years. I know, I know, Maggianos. But when you’re trying to feed a group of people from different cultures with varying palates, Maggianos is the ticket. Everybody is satisfied. Plus they have a whole dept. for these things. It makes life easier. Anyway, back to Carmine’s. I did have a delicious cioppino w/crostini there. And IIRC, they had a decent bartender who made good martinis and a tasty cosmo (it was a long time ago :blush:) with a sweet/sour gumdrop at the bottom.

Bananas mashed in with the potatoes. Really gross.

2 Likes

Why? Just why?

1 Like

Chez Jay - the Fiondella steak is always consistently great (marinated in olive oil and herbs for a day or two)

Galley - the best happy hour, which is also served on the patio. Mediocre food in a great space.

Vito - total old school experience, best Caesar Salad on the westside, prepared tableside. Veal Meatballs are usually the special on the weekends, size of softballs.

Peppones - best carpaccio in town. Expensive but has that feel you seek.

Warehouse - doesn’t get much more old school kitsch than this. I think a couple Columbo episodes were filmed here, and the happy hour is truly happy. $6 umbrella’d Mai Tai’s.

3 Likes

I’ve read that Leonard Nimoy helped invent that dish.

Perhaps it was back in his “In Search Of” days and they were searching for the West Coast’s most repellent side dish.

2 Likes

Awww… Columbo is still my favorite show, especially the episodes where food is involved. There’s about 30 episodes on Netflix. I wonder which ones were filmed at Warehouse.

Your mentioning Mai Tai’s made me think of Trader Vic’s. Oh sigh…

2 Likes

Agree and I think Maggiano’s actually has some servicable dishes that would be sufficient for more houndly types.

1 Like

Love that show. (Did I just date myself?)

During UCLA Dead Week, Lamonica’s used to have an unsolicited driver parked downstairs of the dorms at night in a car loaded with pizzas for cramming students who were too stressed to call and wait. Brilliant business maneuver - that car was pretty much always sold out. Cash business, baby.

4 Likes

Our standard at Musso & Frank’s are the Frenched Lamb Chops, Sand Dabs and a martini or negroni which always comes with a side car. Not everything is great, but those lamb chops definitely are! Sit in the old main room ONLY.

2 Likes

Chez Jay
Dan Tana’s

Thanks everyone. The time has come to decide, and we’re going with Musso and Frank’s. The question now, is what to order. Suggestions?

5 Likes

I usually start with the caesar or crab louie followed by lamb chops or a bone-in ribeye. For dessert, the key lime pie is pretty tasty, albeit not the “best in the world” as our waiter claimed the last time we were there.

1 Like

The cheesecake, and maybe the pineapple sherbet.

2 Likes

a martini

4 Likes

Consommé, wedge salad, lobster Thermidor, asparagus with hollandaise, and a Pink Lady to drink.

2 Likes

When I used to live closer to that end of town, I particularly liked Musso’s for the flannel cakes, the chicken pot pie (only on Thursdays per the current menu), and the sand dabs.

2 Likes