Great old-timey restaurant experience

Cocktails a necessity, not a consideration.

1 Like

A somewhat similar downtown Americanized Chinese WITH COCKTAILS is Plum Tree Inn.

1 Like

The Tam has changed, and not for the better. The food is alright, but not much more. This isn’t the go to it used to be.

That’s disappointing to hear. I used to love the Tam when I lived on that side of town.

I’d argue that the Tam was never great but always serviceable. I like the place because it’s atypical of LA not because of anything produced by the kitchen. That being said, the food is tasty.

Yang Chow is fine enough, but if you’re going to head out to Chinatown (closest location of Yang Chow from the westside), better option would be Ocean Seafood. Full bar, too.

3 Likes

Last night at the Galley

1 Like

mmm…is that the red velvet filet?

3 Likes

dilapidated is one thing.
dirty/filthy is another.

i don’t mind dilapidated.

3 Likes

The food is so old school that it isn’t even “farm to table.” The Italian food is what I remember from the old time Italian restaurants in Los Angeles, e.g. Chianti (R.I.P.)

[quote=“linus, post:48, topic:4050, full:true”]
mmm…is that the red velvet filet?
[/quote]Do you always have to say what others are thinking?

1 Like

Miceli’s used to be like that. But last time we went it was horrible… a bummer.

P.S. Guido’s on S.M. & Bundy - It’s open, but I still put it on my R.I.P list. Used to love it. But now…:smirk:

1 Like

I don’t recall eating at Miceli’s but did eat at Guido’s once and it was dreadful. The old time Italian restaurants I recall are the upscale LaScala (not the boutique), Villa Capri in Hollywood, Carmine’s in W.L.A. and Dolce Vita. Only Dolce Vita and Carmine’s are still around. No, Matteo’s is still around but IMHO it is terrible.

Miceli’s isn’t upscale it is families, with hanging chianti bottles, singing waiters and such.

I might be older than you. But back in the day Guido’s was a “fat cat” restaurant. Hollywood execs power lunching, pinky ringed mobster types at night. It was the make your salad at the table kind of place. Now it’s just rundown and scary. I can’t believe it’s still open.

When we were kids we loved going to La Scala in BH and Scandia (on Sunset) with the parents. It felt so grown up. My husband took his prom date to Scandia :slight_smile:.

Yes, Carmine’s is still there. Junior changed it to Carmine’s II when his dad passed. But I saw it’s back to just Carmine’s. The food is hit or miss to me. But we like the vibe, music, service and still enjoy going there.

1 Like

I haven’t been in ages but isn’t Peppone in Brentwood still lingering on?

Peppone is still around and could qualify as old school or retro. We decided to eat there a couple of years ago. The menu seemed unchanged from 2 decades ago. Food was only average. Prices were very high. We didn’t return. I think it is better known for it’s wine list than the quality of the food although some rave about the filet mignon meatballs. I ordered the meatballs. Was unimpressed.

1 Like

We used to go to Peppone as UCLA students.

Just remind us how good we had it in the dorms.

3 Likes

You must be young. At one point, Peppone’s was pretty good in that area. Probably the only competition was some Kleiman place (another Angeli? was it on Wilshire or Santa Monica?) and that garlicky place in the Village that purportedly Mae West liked (Mario’s?)…

1 Like

If you are interested in chez jay -
Drinks are good. Bloody Mary especially good.
The only thing i ever get there is the Sand Dabs (old school dish). I believe the salads have green goddess dressing as a choice.

Everything else, I’d skip.

1 Like

Whatever you do, don’t order the aggressively disgusting banana mashed potatoes.

1 Like