Gucci Osteria da Massimo Bottura

I’m not going to have this debate here, you can talk to me in person any time or via email, I’m at kang at eater dot com. I’ll gladly have a drink with you or @CiaoBob whenever, on me and we can talk about whatever you want.

3 Likes

It’s generally a safe bet that authors did not write the headlines of their articles. Even if you submit a headline it will likely be hyped up or replaced by someone whose main goal is to get people who read it to click.

Hey Matt, I for one appreciate all the content you guys provide. But I agree with @PorkyBelly that if you guys are going to use content from here as a source, you should at the very least make sure it’s accurate. We already have enough fake news in the world.

5 Likes

What do you think was inaccurate besides the clickbait headline?

You’re a big boy. You can figure it out.

1 Like

I find the “Just know that over at FTC, readers are ripping apart the tasting menu’s small portions, the cost, or difficulty in securing a phone reservation.” (italics added by me) statement to be a bit hyperbolic, given the actual content and tone of this thread.

But I tend to have a similar take on much of what appears on that site. (Not necessarily a knock on their writers/contributors - I’m guessing their in-house style guide encourages such verbiage and it likely gets edited in if it’s lacking.)

5 Likes

Edit: oops, my bad, the title in the page header is just less hyped (“Massimo Bottura Has Some Absurd Beverly Hills Prices at Gucci Osteria”).

1 Like

Great report @PorkyBelly — yeah, that seafood spaghetto tugs on my native San Franciscan heartstrings with flavors similar to cioppino.

As much as I love tasting menus, especially Spago’s and Trois Mec’s, I’ll probably skip this one and just go for the seafood salad, spaghetto and complimentary bread.

That bread plate makes me wistful for the one Scott Conant offered at his since shuttered Scarpetta BH with the stromboli and spreads.

If Gucci were to offer a Tre Scalini style chocolate Tartufo or an individual serving of Zuppa Inglese or inspired by San Francisco’s Victoria Pastry’s Zuccotto, I’d plunk down $20. I haven’t been able to find anything comparable yet in SoCal.

4 Likes

pass the truffle pop corn

4 Likes

I want mine sprinkled with some sel de guerande and melted Isigny Ste Mere butter please.

1 Like

I’m going to be a peasant and sprinkle on some nutritional yeast and liquid amino.

(@Luluthemagnificent - you should try this.)

3 Likes

Have only read a few of the latest posts - had know idea all this drama had broken out over here. How fun! But I’ll just add, you shouldn’t get too riled up @matthewkang. We’re probably secretly thrilled to be charting.

P.S. That’s the longest post I’ve ever seen from you @CiaoBob. :wink: Links, quotes, photos! I’m gonna’ read all this tonight!

5 Likes

Snoop

7 Likes

Massimo is under quarantine in Italy right now.

He closed his restaurant a few days ago, before the Italian government ordered all businesses other than grocery stores and pharmacies closed, but I can’t find any reports of he himself being quarantined.

Go to his Instagram. He’s been doing live feeds of dinner under the lock down. Many of the Italian food bloggers are doing the same. The feel is everyone is in this together rather than the fend for yourselves and raid the stores.

1 Like

I guess basically everyone in Italy is quarantined.

Fun fact: The etymology of the word ‘quarantine’ itself has Italian roots.

2 Likes
7 Likes