Hanjip Culver City - the East is West II

Everyone gets the pork belly at Eight but the fatty brisket and the jowl are the way to go IMO.

what is Eight?

Eight Korean BBQ aka Palsaik

https://www.yelp.com/biz/eight-korean-bbq-los-angeles-2

The artist formerly known as Palsaik Samgyupsal.

@porthos, you beat me to it. Good to know about the jowl. I almost always get the hangjungsal at KBBQ places, but the only time I went to Eight there was just two of us and we got the 8 pork belly combo and didn’t have room to try the jowl.

Hi @Porthos,

Thanks. So without the carabineros, are you saying that you might as well skip Hanjip and go to Park’s or Eight for your KBBQ fix in general? (just making sure - I love both of those places.)

Yep, the carabineros is what made it special. Without which it’s on the level of a pretty good Korean place.

If you’re Westside it probably beats driving to K-town (maybe not given the wait times).

But if we’re talking Korean food and the rest of the menu and the distance being equal, might as well go to Park’s or Eight if Hanjip doesn’t have carabineros. Cold noodles at Eight are really good.

1 Like

IDK @Porthos Hanjip is pretty special even without - the seafood pancake is one of the best I have ever had; the bone marrow and corn is a fantastic dish one won’t find in K-town; some unique lamb preps too…

1 Like

My favorite KBBQ place that seems to fly way under the radar is Ssam. It’s my go to place now and even though I’m a huge fan of Park’s, I no longer have a need to go there because of Ssam. The QPR is so high.

1 Like

Not that much under the radar judging from this photo. Looks good though.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ssam-korean-bbq-los-angeles?select=8C5tBs0yYtA3mmTJ-CZGlg

Don’t get me wrong…the place is almost always packed…with Koreans. But it’s never mentioned in any English sites (Eater, FTC, etc) as a top KBBQ joint. But I’m saying it is.

I give places like that extra points.

Thanks for sharing your spot!

I’ll have to try it then! Thanks for the info…

My advice is to go with a group of 4-5 and order the Ssam combo. For $110, you get to sample their best cuts of beef, pork, and even seafood. And then finish the meal by ordering the cold noodles!

1 Like

Are they back (but just not on the menu)???

Or are these just freakishly large prawn?

… from Stephane Bombet’s instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC1ooJ9rYX8/

Are those thing seasonal, like hotaru ika? Maybe they were in season before, fell out of season, and are coming back in?

Looks like SB Spot Prawn to this half-educated eye. Season might be starting a little early because of the weather/El Nino. I read carabineros are harvested pretty much year round - makes me think Hanjip took those red rascals off the menu for a different reason.

That was my first thought, but daaayum, that be huuuge for SB prawn.

OTOH, it could be Australian prawn (they are often that large).

Sure not just a large farmed tiger prawn?

I defer to you. Plus, I can’t get the scale of this thing.

True as well. Could be (at least partially) a trick of the lens.