Hayato - ROW DTLA

chef go knew how much i enjoyed the rice on previous visits so he prepared extra. He and his staff usually eat any leftover rice but at the end of the meal he thoughtfully presented me with the bento box which was a total surprise and much appreciated. omotenashi at its finest.

I had it for an after-dinner snack when i got home and breakfast the next day and it was still incredible.

12 Likes

One of the many reasons why I love Chef Go and the Hayato team.

5 Likes

Hysterical! Great pics and writing as usual.

I Spy With My Little Eye - a new server.

1 Like

Was quite fond of this guy :slight_smile:
Hope he is still around.

6 Likes

Not a server, a cook.

Apologies. Thatā€™s trueā€¦

1 Like

Nice write up! Itā€™s so hard to get a reservation nowadays, Hayato is definitely worth it though

3 Likes

She was there when I visited early September. Canā€™t remember if the other guy was there, but one of the male cooks I chatted with earlier that evening also loves Den (Sake Brewery).

I might apply for a job!
With absolutely no cooking ability/training, I may be over qualified, since it appears to me Go San does everything himself anyway :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I call dibs and shotgun on sake consultant role, haha.

3 Likes

The tatami room is physically all ready to go but chef go wants the experience and service to be flawless before he opens it.

Since he canā€™t interact with the guests in the tatami room like he does with guests at the counter, heā€™s basically looking for a person who can be an extension of himself. Which obviously has been difficult.

So @CiaoBob and @beefnoguy if you think youā€™re qualified to be brandonā€™s clone send in your resume so he can get this room open. Which should make it slightly easier for us to get reservations.

8 Likes

Okay, I was thinking something along those lines. For now the room sits there tantalizing everyone. Canā€™t wait for those reports.

2 Likes

I believe the new chef has been around at least as far back as maybe May? Definitely June. As far as Iā€™m aware, thereā€™s 1 more chef who is always there and then 1 more person whoā€™s there but not always.

@CiaoBob Yeah, I was sad to see he wasnā€™t around my last visit as well. Last I saw/heard, heā€™s still in LA.

I can be official rice polisher. In other words, Iā€™ll polish off any uneaten rice left over by customers.

10 Likes

haha, were you at m georgina? you should have stopped by, we had extra rice that needed polishing :wink:

4 Likes

He needs to find a wife so he can be like the husband-wife teams we often see in Japan.

3 Likes

Heā€™s so incredibly busy keeping his quality at such a high level night after night, weā€™d probably have to arrange a marriage for him.

7 Likes

Hmm, I think you can do it @J_Lā€¦

1 Like

BHGā€™s ā€œcloneā€ will need the Cary Grant hair and eyes :wink:

3 Likes

Excellent QPR!!! I enjoyed alternating between the sweet and savory items.
Now hopefully my carpet bombing of their wait list yields something for dinner.

This from Tartine was a tasty dessert

11 Likes