Hayato - ROW DTLA

Congratulations on scoring this bento!

The fava beans/soremame look especially awesome!!

@beefnoguy, Haha yeah spot of luck with the bento box today. Was on wait list and a slot opened up to my joy.

The highlight for me was the seared duck breast (top row, 2nd from the left) - par excellence!

4 Likes

Booked my 2nd Lunch Bento for Jan. I hope any of my friends donā€™t have last minute plans. I got 2 boxes.

My dinner at Hayato on Friday felt magical. The moment I walked in and heard chef Brandon Go state, ā€œirasshaimase,ā€ my sense of the cold and looming industrial-gone-upmarket Row DTLA melted away, replaced by an intimate, welcoming space. The dinner unfolded in a hypnotic way. I was mesmerized by the processes of preparation and plating. Chef Go carefully explained each dish: the ingredients, their sourcing, and the techniques used. I should have taken notes, but I wanted to remain present in the experience. I was ambivalent about taking photos for the same reason, but decided to visually document the dishes since this may very well be my one and only Hayato dinner (though I very much hope thatā€™s not the case!). A few last notes before the dishes: Chef Go was incredibly warm and an excellent conversationalist. Despite being a kaiseki novice (Iā€™ve traveled to Japan 15+ times but usually dine where my friends and colleagues take me, casual spots, or at depātos or konbinis), I felt entirely welcomed (and highly rewarded!). Self-doubts about not having a refined enough palate were baseless, and Iā€™m glad such thoughts didnā€™t stop me from making a reservation. Also, a counter for seven was a perfect set-up for a solo diner. I felt connected to the chef and staff, and my dining companions, through our shared culinary journey. Flawless service. I had some of the most exquisite bites of my life during this epic dinner.

Spiny lobster, okra, egg yolk sauce, grated green yuzu
Chef Go preparing the next course
Tempura sweet potato and scallop (the latter with nori in the batter)
Sabazushi (with raw mackerel, not cured)
Light dashi with matsutake mushrooms and grilled blackthroat seaperch (I think :grimacing:). Stunning. Can a bite of food be life changing?! :thinking:
image image
Prepping the sashimi course
image image
Sea bream and two types of Spanish mackerel. Served with salt, soy, freshly grated wasabi and palate cleansers of shredded and dried shiso, raw seaweed, and shredded ginger.
Abalone with jellied cooking stock and liver sauce
Kinki with slow cooked and glazed lotus root. Life changing dish no. 2
Tender eel in a light, ginger infused broth. Topped with fresh ginger and served with a cute and tender-cooked little turnip.
image image
Panko-crusted matsutake mushroom
Serving up the nabe. Snow crab :star_struck: with shiitake mushrooms, a green I already forgot the name of, and grated yellow yuzu in broth
image image image
Cured cod roe
Rice course.
image image image
Dessert course. Fresh pear and persimmon. (I was served fruit without sake jelly because I noted that I do not consume alcohol in my reservation. So thoughtful!)
image image image

18 Likes

Beautiful pictures and splendid narrative. Appreciate your humility!

2 Likes

Lovely @chinchi & Ditto @ebethsdad.

1 Like

Great writeup!

1 Like

Great review @chinchi, glad hayato lived up to your expectations.

If it was like the nabe I was served it may be komatsuna greens.

2 Likes

Thank you @PorkyBelly for confirming the identity of the greens! And thanks all for your kind words.

2 Likes

Nice report back @chinchi. :slight_smile: So glad you enjoyed Hayato. The snow crab looks absolutely wonderful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How is parking on evenings? Are his kaiseki dinners over 2 hours?

Thereā€™s 2 hours parking validation, though Iā€™m not sure if dinners are shorter than 2 hours.

Iā€™m hoping to land a reservation on Feb.

Parking is never a problem at the Row DTLA. Even if you go over you arenā€™t paying much

1 Like

You can park on Alameda right outside of the ROW for free.

Dinner will be at least 3 hours. Prepare to have one of the most amazing dining experiences in L.A.

1 Like

Have you been there before? However did you get a reservation? I tried one time, and on the exact second they become available, they are all taken. :frowning:

What drinks did you get? I might plan on getting Dassai 45 or 39. Iā€™m looking into non alcoholic options as I canā€™t handle much.

Hopefully I land Feb. I want to do something for my b day this time! In the meantime Iā€™ll be getting my 2nd Lunch Bento in a few weeks.

It used to be a lot easier before the fucking scalpers started taking all the good seats

10 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure my review is somewhere on one of the Hayato threads. I went during soft opening in 2018 when all it took was an E-mail to score a reservation. My friends and I frequent his familyā€™s sushi restaurant in Seal Beach. The sake menu was pretty basic back then and Chef offered some of the same items his family restaurant carries. We went in for a Dassai 23. It was pleasant, but Iā€™m glad Chef has made improvements to his sake offerings since.

3 Likes

First goal of the new year get that damn bento box. See you guys on Resy on New Years morning.

2 Likes

Sake and wine are available by the glass (about four choices from each category), including Dassai 23.

Den Sake Brewery (Oakland) 500 mL bottle is $55, and also available by the glass, assuming they still carry it on the list. Very safe choice that also works nicely with the entire meal, great size for a solo diner.

1 Like

Whatā€™s it worth to yah? :japanese_goblin:

3 Likes