Hayato - ROW DTLA

hayato x fat + flour

@js76wisco avert your eyes.

best bites this week were the black cod saikyo yaki, seared duck breast, shiitake nimono, carrot, shrimp shinjo, choco chess pie, and the japanese sweet potato pie. They were the bee’s knees, legs, and arms.

shoutout to the peaceful and quiet smorgasburg-less row, for providing plenty of shaded tables and chairs.

chocolate chess pie - brownie like dark chocolate filling, broken cookie crust, topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream

almond frangipane, pear

ginger sweet potato pie - japanese sweet potato custard, topped with meringue and candied ginger, baked in a spicy gingersnap crust

peanut butter sandwich cookie - peanut butter cookie sandwich with peanut butter buttercream filling
it’s peanut butter cookie time, peanut butter cookie time

23 Likes

@PorkyBelly great pictures.

My daughter says not fair.

We may try to get the Orizume as a special holiday dinner. I wonder how popular these boxes will be.

4 Likes

Oh just look at you.

How was your second bite of that precious jewel?

1 Like

lol you might want to put a parental control lock on FTC for your daughters computer access! :rofl:

2 Likes

She needs to watch the 2020 Junior Master Chef Australia if she hasn’t done so already. Full of inspiration.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure whatever lock or controls I put on their devices would be rendered useless within minutes. Kids these days.

3 Likes

How did your daughter find out about Hayato?

@lafoodie we were lucky enough to get a bento box through a generous FTC member. My daughter loved every bite. While we were finishing up the bento she asked me to go back and get another box. Haha those silly kids. Then the very next Saturday she asked if we were going back to Hayato for bento boxes. We still talk about Hayato and I show her pics off IG.

12 Likes

Should have started her off on a bento from Mitsuwa or Tokyo Central first lol. FTC kids are gonna to have a really developed and sophisticated palette.

7 Likes

A Sunny & Peaceful Day at ROW.

Such a contrast to our first visit. This time no newb confusion, perfect weather and a quiet place to sit & eat.

I had my bento in the moment this time. Each piece was at its optimal temperature, flavor & texture and everything was a delight. Highlights this time - White Shrimp Shinjo :hearts:, Black Cod Saikyo Yaki, Dashimaki Tamago, Dried Shitake Nimono, Satsuma Sweet Potato Mitsu-ni, Chrysanthemum Greens w/Lemony Sudachi Citrus, the Koshihikari Rice + Root Vegetables had the right temp & texture this time and a few of my bites had some smokiness… hmmm.

Shimeharitsuru “Jun” Junmai Ginjo - Niigata, Japan

Shimeharitsuru is described as the classic Junmai Ginjo. @beefnoguy can answer that. It has light fruit aromas, sweet rice flavor, not cloying, clean, med-dry with a sharpness the tasting notes say dissipates almost immediately, but I didn’t find dissipated at all, which distracted. Goes well with the Shrimp Shinjo, Black Cod & Duck Breast. I thought about buying sake ahead of time but this once decided to go with Hayato’s sake menu (cups included). It’s pricey, but helps supplement the time & effort Chef Go puts into the bento boxes peeps love.

Pikunico Fried Chicken Sandwich - Golden Turmeric Bun, Lemon Aioli, Miso Jam, Watercress, Alfalfa Sprouts, Pickled Daikon, Jalapeño

We’re more fried chicken lovers than fried chicken sandwich lovers and we really enjoyed Pikunico’s fried chicken last time, so I was surprised when hubs insisted on the sandwich, even more surprised when I saw all the greenery on it… another dislike is delicate greens & sprouts on a hot sandwich. I didn’t try it. He :hearts: it “a lot”.

We never went to ROW during the Smorgasburg days so can’t compare it, but this was a very pleasant, uncrowded day and quick to get to on a weekend.

And of course, we couldn’t forget Archie & Little Cookie. They got a big bowl of kittycat food. :paw_prints:

21 Likes

what a fine example to set for other food talkers who frequent hayato

4 Likes

Good looking denim!

1 Like

We miss you too. :wink:

1 Like

So the Orizume is going on sale Dec. 1st through the Hayato website? Does anyone know what time?

Thank you for buying sake from them.

As with any other restaurant, even with the Japanese restaurants up here where I am, margins made on food are razor thin, particularly prices for imported fish have risen even during this crisis, so there is not much money to be made from just selling food. Buying a sake will surely help add to their bottom line, pay their staff and other things, in addition to providing a more pleasurable dining /pairing experience. Plus you can save the leftovers of your Shimeharitsuru Jun and taste it again next day or two with other things. If you have any left over, try it with nigiri sushi.

More posts like this that include sake, whether for the bento or the orizume, helps a lot and I’m sure will mean a lot more/have a bigger impact. It will also help the distribution line as well.

8 Likes

Did I read they’re not doing the regular bentos anymore? After seeing my two boxes and sharing the white shrimp shinjo hubs now wants his own bento. :slightly_smiling_face:

they’re going to continue doing lunch bentos

2 Likes

Goody.

I don’t think it’s been announced yet but I would guess 10am