Hayato - ROW DTLA

I really enjoyed that squid

1 Like

what is the secret to getting a ticket here?

I am annoyed I keep trying and yet somehow people here have gone multiple times already :frowning: save a once in a lifetime experience for us!

I’ve never managed to pull it off, but @Armillaria put together some best practices here: Hayato - ROW DTLA - #1090 by Armillaria

2 Likes

Have no specific date in mind
IMO easier as solo
Cell phone using data
Laptop open to world clock with seconds hand
Make sure not to accidentally refresh out of habit when you see reservation page go live
Switch to 1 guest
Do dry runs on tock for other places to get used to how the checkout menus function
Played a lot of video games as a kid?!

Coulda sworn Max claimed on a recent air jordan that at this point you need to either have been before or go with someone who’s been.

I have a hard time believing that’s true for all reservations, just remembered that he said it. I sat next to people in December who’s first time it was and they didn’t seem to have connections

4 Likes

This is most important imo. Then you can sync up with time.gov data to know when the reservations really drop.

4 Likes

plenty of people go for the first time. A lot of people use the waitlist and are able to score some res too! A few of my friends that have gone for the first time, got off from the waitlist.

3 Likes

this would be tragically sad if that’s the case :frowning:

1 Like

it’s not true, you can still get reservations on tock.

6 Likes

Got wrecked on my practice attempt today :sweat_smile: Got 2 more months/attempts to practice.

5 Likes

It’s not a failure; it’s steps to success

4 Likes

when I went, I did get in through a connection, but the other 4 people were saying that they (2x2) got in through the tock waitlist. seems good if, like others have said, you have no specific date in mind!

3 Likes

Spoiled rich fuck egotistical wishful thinking.

:joy: yeah he said it with such confidence from what I remember

I feel like Hayato is part priority regulars, then some two and one tops are made available on Tock, then the waitlist is used as a buffer/genuine cancellations

Could be cool to try say like 30 packages of $6k or $8 k for 4 two top reservations in a year, one for each season. After food, gratuity, tax the rest is applied as bottle credit.

I feel like atelier crenn is trying to do this with a priority membership thing, but it’s so easy to score reservations there it’s kind of dumb. I guess you do get invites to “chef” events to meet DC, but ehhh

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that. I know Nisei offers the Saturday at the farmers market/light prep work day into dinner which seems like a fun one time thin

Not that I visit Hayato enough but I would totally pay for like a limited run personal sake cup

3 Likes

huh?

aren’t their like 8 seats or something? so priority members could be taking 50% of the seats…

I almost wish once you went once, there’s a period you have to wait to go back again (3-6 months) OR possibly pay extra.

1 Like

I believe it’s been 7 the times I’ve been :-o, with one seating a night… the demand just outweighs their capacity to serve people so much. It’s hard to scale up though because a big part of the experience is just sitting in front of the chef and a small crew making and serving everything to you almost immediately. The staffing ratio is aaaaaalmost 1:1.

6 Likes

I think Brandon is in a thankless position in many ways. One thing that really impresses me is every time I’ve been to Hayato there’s a mix of like one group ordering multiple nice bottles, another sharing maybe a bottle and round of beer or ordering off the btg list, and a group who isnt drinking at all or maybe just a beer. That is a beautiful balance to me and also a strategic one.

@PorkyBelly’s summer menu IG captioning service.

ezgif.com-optimize (2)

sakizuke - seared kinmedai (chiba katsuura), tosazu, soramame, shiso blossoms

agemono - brentwood corn and hokkaido scallop kakiage, mitsuba

grilled hamo, fresh wasabi, salt

(new) aemono - live santa barbara spot prawns, okra, snap peas, daikon, kinome, kimizu sauce

(new) yaki nasu, shredded ginger, dashi

shinogi - aji bozushi, chive rice, wasabi, soy sauce

owan - dungeness crab suimono, baby kabu

sashimi - hatsu katsuo warayaki, ginger, shiso, myoga, salt

sake steamed abalone, abalone stock cube, abalone liver sauce, wasabi

charcoal grilled nodoguro, charcoal roasted onion x2

kisu tempura, daikon and ginger ankake

nabe - griled and steamed amadai, komatsuna, shiitake

grilled karasumi

anago and kinome gohan

the bottom of the donabe was reached

nori and miso soup