Hey FTCers, Looking for arepas

Ive got to surprise a friend with good arepas…are arepas made in different ways by different countries?

A bit of a schlep, but Mil Jugos in Santa Ana. All the food is great here, especially the arepas and the tostones with garlic shrimp.

2 Likes

Yes they are…

Most of the Arepas in bakeries in L.A. are Columbian Style… but there are a few places that do Venezuelan style. I went to the Arepa Stand Pop Up recently and found their Venezuelan style to be quite good!

You can order online or visit their stand at the Mar Vista Farmers Market

https://www.thearepastnd.com/order-online

2 Likes

My experience is limited but I have quite enjoyed the Venezuelan ones from Chamo in Pasadena:

2 Likes

I second Mil Jugos in Santa Ana for excellent Venezuelan style arepas.

1 Like

Another vote for Chamo. More emphasis on arepa than filling, compared to the Arepa Stand picture above.
Has a nice outer crust, a bit thicker than other places I’ve tried. It gives way easily when you bite, but then has that final pull as you chew. Kind of like a socarrat texture?

1 Like

La Fonda

1 Like

I like Sabor Colombiano. Personally, I have never been fond of regular Colombian arepas; I find them dry and mealy without much flavor. But I do like sweet arepas, which they have on the menu at Sabor Colombiano. I also like the chicken and hen soups here.

1 Like

thanks Alkiegourmand, I’ll try and check a few of these this summer