Holbox by Chichen Itza

sopa de mariscos was introduced late 2018 and is one of the best items on the menu.

crispy fish torta is off menu.

9 Likes

i’ve been dreaming of eating that scallop aguachile again for three years. any reason to abandon the dream for the shrimp one they now have on their delivery menu (which i just thought to look at)?

paging the shrimp whisperer @hppzz

no, shrimp is really good too. esp the ones with the fried heads…may even like it more than the scallops because of that.

4 Likes

we have successfully holboxed. stringent checking of proof of vaccination to enter mercado la paloma, outdoor seating on a lovely day and great seafood (plus bistec a la yucateca from chichen itza): what’s not to like?

and yes, the shrimp aguachile and sopa de mariscos were very good, as were the ceviche mixto, the uni tostada and the tacos (shrimp, scallop, baja fish, smoked kanpachi).

18 Likes

17 Likes

Crispy shrimp heads!

2 Likes

I’m sure I could look this up, but how do people eat the shrimp heads? Do you just suck out the innards?

If it’s deep fried, you can eat it whole. If not, suck out its brains.

9 Likes

This is my policy as well.

3 Likes

If you are my son you peel off all the antennas and the shell around the head and chomp on them like they are potato chips (regardless of whether the shrimp head is fried or not). Regular people eat them as moonboy described.

5 Likes

I have cut my lip and/or tongue - more than I should admit - trying to eat the un-fried version.

3 Likes

I could totally see this happening to me.

I saw “adults” sucking out the brains and such all the time growing up, but I never tried it and always wondered what I might be missing. And then I tried it a few times as an adult (esp if the sushi chef asked me if I wanted the heads deep fried b/c I thought it’d give me “street cred”). But the 1-2 times I tried it, I was like, “Meh.” So I wondered if I wasn’t eating it “right.”

Maybe shrimp heads (regardless of prep) just aren’t for me. ::sigh::

I’m also not 100% fond of non-fried shrimp heads but there are some out there where I “get it”. Like the ones at bavel.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the type and quality of the shrimp. I’ve had some fried heads that were delicious, others that were meh.

1 Like

I eat the whole thing all at once to get the most concentrated shrimp flavor as I could possibly extract.

1 Like

The only way to eat it is as the scallop aguachile. I found the shrimp version to be a bit too bland and not as deletable for my palette, though did not try the crispy shrimp heads.

the shrimp heads at our meal were crisp enough to chomp up without difficulty. in a lot of bengali preparation of shrimp, the shrimp are left head-on and the gooey goodness in the head is the best part. in those cases you suck it out of the heads and discard the carapace.

2 Likes

oh and i see i never posted the link to the full write-up of our holbox meal on my blog.

1 Like

And hiss “braaaaiiiinsssss” while doing it.

Why yes, my partner finds me annoying a lot of times, why do you ask?

2 Likes