Holbox by Chichen Itza

I didnt get the tasting menu, but its remarkable how quickly the food is brought to you after ordering. best service in LA!

1 Like

Still one of the best in LA, we went tonight but were unable to get the tasting menu because they were all sold out. Word seems to be out. Everything was as good as always, first time trying the shrimp torta though. For the types of seafood they are doing this is one of the best deals in the city. The new Downey locally raised shrimp aguachile was awesome. Wish they had some carbineros on the menu. Sopa de mariscos best bowl of seafood stew in the city. I snapped a pic of the tasting menu so ppl can have an idea of what’s on it but it changes from week to week. I tried to order the geoduck a la carte but sadly that was only for tasting menu. They checked vaccination at the front door, we sat outside and it was very pleasant (no mosquitos :mosquito:)

19 Likes

Hi @hungryhungryhippos

Nice report! So good, right?! :heart::blush::heart:

Thanks for posting the tasting menu. And what did you think of your first time Shrimp Torta?

2 Likes

I thought shrimp torta was good but It doesn’t jump to the top of my list. The grilled fish, sopa mariscos, and ceviche/aguachiles are still tops for me.

2 Likes

Those construction workers head over straight from work and buy them all up.

5 Likes

had the tasting last week, overall really good dinner, all the seafood was pristine as always and the highlight was the diy grilled spiny lobster tacos with garlic butter :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:
my only nit was the menu was 2/3 ceviches/raw so the flavor profile was mostly tart which can eventually wear on the palate. i think more tacos and cooked items would have balanced out the meal. and maybe a dessert.

east coast surf clam “coctel”

baja blood clam

shigoku oyster

aguachile - baja bay scallops & transparentSea farm local shrimp in spicy serrano-cilantro-cucumber marinade

ceviche de erizo con lobina - live santa barbara sea urchin & baja bay scallops

baja striped bass ceviche

crudo curado - citrus cured kanpachi “crudo” with grilled lemon vinaigrette

mejillones con chorizo - salt spring mussels, house made kanpachi sausage, spicy seafood broth

next course

langosta al carbon - santa barbara spiny lobster, wood grilled with garlic butter, handmade tortillas, pico de gallo, avocado

after-dinner tire shop taqueria bang bang

21 Likes

Perfect. :heart::blush::heart:

4 Likes

A bang bang with Tire Shop Taqueria would be perfect

4 Likes

I know two places that are even more perfect for bang bang :wink:

7 Likes

How long does it take to get to Tire Shop from Holbox?

2 Likes

Like 5 min

1 Like

Oh wow didn’t realize it was that close

1 Like

Parking was tough the last time we went.

Parking has been a challenge in every one of my visits to Tire Shop. But it’s worth it. Just got to circle and hunt.

2 Likes

They have more parking inside their lot now that they moved the set up across the lot.

2 Likes

yeah. We have most luck a couple of blocks away by the school. Also across the street.

1 Like

East 40th the cross street just north of tire shop by the car wash usually has parking.

Although we live super close to Holbox we often bike to it… When I saw that Holbox was a recent addition to Locale and they had a few kits to make at home, I decided to give a go since our weekends are going to get busy since LAFC season just started and it’s nice to come home and have something quick to make…

I got the Yellow Tail taco kit. Not a huge fan of seafood soups and the other kit was Ceviche which is best eaten the day of delivery I am sure. They are going all on in on this, nice box… good instructions, good packaging…

With the exception that they included a QUARTER of an avocado which was already half brown (why?!) , we were pleased with what we got. Four nice sized tacos, plenty of salsas!

As I mentioned, the instructions were pretty good. You didn’t need to deep fry the tacos to get them nice and crisp. Obviously we tossed the Avocado it came with and went with guac from our favorite spot. Added steak and Veg for a nice Surf and Turf dinner…

All in all, we were super happy! We felt we got our money’s worth with the tacos, salsa and quality ($30 for kit… Each taco at Holbox is $7 each). Even take out it would have not been as crisp or generous with salsas. That salsa de cacahuate (Macha) is just divine and there is plenty of to enjoy throughout the week! So bonus!

–Dommy!

22 Likes

I also got a Holbox kit from Locale - the Striped Bass Ceviche ($25) . The fish was frozen so I placed the bag in a bowl of water in the fridge to defrost It came with two whole limes that had to be juiced over the fish and a packet of vegetable (which I also had to defrost) that got mixed into it, along with a bag of avocado puree and a bag of salsa roja. It came with three corn tostadas.

I put too much salsa roja on them (my fault) so it kind of masked some of the subtler flavors of the fish. Glad I tried it, but probably wouldn’t do it again.

8 Likes

Thanks for reporting back on the tostadas! I can understand the frozen fish… but I would have been really disappointed with frozen cilantro! Ugh. I found out after my post that they are on Gold Belly which is why they are packaged up so pretty and frozen (Which would also explain the travesty that was my quarter Avocado). I wish they would not freeze for local delivery…

1 Like