Holbox by Chichen Itza

Thanks so much!

There’s a smoked fish collar tostada but otherwise not seeing any other collars in there.

1 Like

there’s also recipes for kanpachi ceviche (not specifically the collar), and the grilled fish taco (supposed to be with rockfish. also not specific to collar).

is there any other restaurants in LA as widely beloved by the forum as Holbox? incidentally, Gilberto’s birthday was on friday.

5 Likes

what @ShadrackToussaint and @burritoking said. I see Tostada De Pecho Ahumado con Callos --Smoked fish collar tostat with scallop and ceviche and Kanpachi ceviche recipes. Can send pix of it if thats what you’re interested.

2 Likes

Would actually love the smoked collar tostada if possible. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Lol and the ceviche if you don’t mind. Thanks so much. What would I do without this board?!

2 Likes

I had Providence during the pandemic so it’s I guess not the fairest comparison, but I still would prefer Holbox.

sent you PM

2 Likes

106 Seafood Underground and Holbox are both jewels.

4 Likes

don’t mean to compare in a bad way, but how does Mariscos Jalisco compare to Holbox?? I love Holbox but never tried Mariscos and have heard good things about it.

Two drastically different places. Mariscos Jalisco is more rustic and their menu is very small while Holbox has a much more diverse menu that takes on a more upscale and refined approach.

If I’m in the mood for a quick and dirty but delicious lunch, I would hit up Marisco Jalisco and scarf down their tacos de camaron and poseidon on the side of the road…follow it up with a bang at La Unica’s birria queso tacos down the street. But if I have a friend coming to town, I would take him/her to Holbox for a nice long meal at the counter.

20 Likes

I think Mariscos Jalisco would not have gotten any attention but for the fact that it is a food truck and thus fit in with the LA zeitgeist. It’s not bad, but Holbox is much better IMO, and there are many other LA Mexican seafood restaurants that are at least as good (the best, IMO, being Coni’Seafood).

1 Like

What @moonboy403 says :point_up_2:.

3 Likes

“a red-onion-jam-topped fish “burger” — which Peele and the team dubbed “the Chum Burger” — that riffed on Holbox’s house-made fish sausage with ground kanpachi, but formed into a patty.”

apparently it’s possible to get this, but only made by Gilberto, and requiring some luck that he is in the mood to do it…

5 Likes

churros

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpTWpQHPw_u/

7 Likes

Hell yeah. Headed over tomorrow before the LAFC game. Will report back.

Excellent churros con chocolat. The churros were fried perfectly. Shatteringly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. No oil or oil flavor on the churros. The chocolate was perfectly balanced with an appropriate amount of bitterness and sweetness.

It was my buddies first time at Holbox and he was blown away that this place was firing out high level food midday in a food court. He can’t wait to go back to try the rest of the menu.

7 Likes

Churros were excellent. My friend who normally doesn’t like sweets absolutely inhaled most of them. For me, they were on the level of BS Taqueria. Beyond that… the spot prawn and uni ceviche was a banger, and the sparkling lemonade was unexpectedly great.

19 Likes

Damn, gonna have to try these out now. Thanks for the tip!

4 Likes

Churros photo from a few weekends ago:

Really great - kid and adult approved, though I only got half of one because, well, kid. They came out a bit after the food came out, so the timing was nice.

17 Likes

Go while you can now, when I was there this past weekend, they were filming something at Holbox and Chichen Itza. Sergio jr and sr were in the house, food was excellent as usual.

Smoked kanpachi tostada :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

16 Likes