Holbox by Chichen Itza

accompanying whatever you get with the guanabana agua from chichen itza and maximizing usage of the salsa selection

personally i would rank the tacos 1) scallop 2) smoked kanpachi 3) pescado al carbon 4) octopus 5) baja fish/shrimp
and 1a) torta, 1b) sopa de mariscos, 2) shrimp aguachile for the fried heads 3a) scallop aguachile 3b) the tostadas 4) the ceviches

3 Likes

Canā€™t argue with whatā€™s recommended but we love all the fresh bivalve preparationsā€”the giant surf clams en concha or the blood clams. Def things you canā€™t get in chi town .

6 Likes

Still bummed I never got to try the unicorn version with uni in the broth.

1 Like

thatā€™s actually a very good suggestion

1 Like

Second the blood clams. Just make sure that the limes are not bitter before using them. I ruined my plate in the past bc of this.

2 Likes

Aguachile is my favorite thing there followed by the smoked kanpachi taco, but I think the cocteles are pretty special too (and overlooked). Looking at the spread of recs tho I think the bottom line is that Holbox rules.

Whereā€™s the second bang tho???

5 Likes

Me and u eat the same. We did the shrimp aguachile (shout-out to those who had recommended itā€“the heads are amazing) and then a smoked kanpachi taco each. Then we went over to Sapp for jade noodles, then Northern Thai Food Club for larb and a papaya salad, then Awan for their ice cream. He had an early resy at Rustic Canyon, so he wanted to keep things light-ish.

Food was great. I didnā€™t ask for his favorites, but the guy particularly devoured the tacos and the jade noodles.

11 Likes

is there anything on the menu that hasnā€™t been recā€™d? :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Ugh I recommended the blood clams but we didnā€™t pull the trigger. Iā€™ll snag them next time Iā€™m there though!

1 Like

Mebe octopus taco?

1 Like
7 Likes

hoping i can order the fish sandwich or maybe the chum burger soon

4 Likes

I love ever single word of this!! I just re-followed their Insta in hopes of getting word when they dish out the fish sammies.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Seeing Nope at the citywalk imax is a trip. I wish I were up in sf to see it at the metreon

1 Like

slightly different than the fried fish sandwich they were getting bread-wise, but if you go when theyā€™re not too busy, you can ask them to sub in the baja fish for the shrimp in their torta - itā€™s pretty great! i first heard this move from LATaco.

that chum burger thoā€¦ need to try that

9 Likes

I rec the octopus tacos.

serious, is there a better seafood restaurant in LA besides this? I cant think of it and the prices are super reasonable.

2 Likes

Itā€™s my favorite one. Technically, youā€™re getting higher quality at Providence if you take prices out of the equation, but how can you?

3 Likes

Random, but does anybody know if the miniature Holbox cookbook has a recipe for yellowtail or yellowfin collar? Iā€™ve come upon some fish and would love to try to replicate that. (Ugh also donā€™t worry Iā€™ve bought the cookbook already but fear that itā€™s at my parentsā€™ place across county linesā€¦)

2 Likes

i have it and can check later today

3 Likes