Home Cooking 2020

And your point is?

Yup. And who eats good steak without wine???

That prime rib looks wonderful. I don’t eat as much red meat as I used to, but I totally agree with you about needing a good red wine to go with it.

It’s hot here and I didn’t feel much like cooking. I made Fennel, Orange and Onion Salad for dinner and served it with a side of fancy jarred tuna. Perfect hot weather, no cook meal.

6 Likes

Speaking of “fancy” tuna, I made tuna salad yesterday with Ortiz tuna (line caught Spanish) with a boiled egg, a few capers, shallot and red bell pepper. Really tiny. And really good.

2 Likes

Grilled rib eye a couple nights ago . Love my wine . Cheers.

8 Likes

Perfectly cooked and our favorite cut.

It’s the cream of tarter. If you underbake them as bars (just a touch!) you get a nice tang in the bar and the lovely contrast of the sugar cinnamon on top. Okay now I have to make them!

3 Likes

Beef stew came out good today. Forgot to take a photo so here’s the sous

7 Likes

I’m bored with cooking. My cooking and anyone elses. But, since there are no other choices at the moment, I decided to make something to spice things up.

Salsa
it goes with everything, or at least almost everything. This is Chipotle-Cascabel Salsa w/Roasted Tomatoes & Tomatillos. It’s from a little known Rick Bayless cookbook entitled Salsas That Cook and it is a delicious rustic salsa. It uses dried chipotles and cascabel chiles. It’s a little bit smokey, a little bit spicy and a little bit nutty. It also uses fresh thyme as a seasoning, which makes it kind of an oddball.

I used it tonight with a couple of boneless/skinless chicken thighs.

9 Likes

That sounds great! Cascabel is an underrated chile.

@Nemroz nice job teaching the kid -he’s tucking his fingers in proper

5 Likes

Cascabel is, indeed, an underrated chile. It’s one of my favorites. I grew them one year. Super easy to grow and they tasted great.

1 Like

Very excited, ordered a set of terra cotta Cazuelas today

1 Like

Spinach soufflé. I had a bag of fresh spinach and am tired of sautéing it
looked around and figured I could pull this off even though most recipes call for chopped/frozen spinach. I was worried that I may end up w/ a frittata instead of soufflé, but that would have been fine too.

Used half-n-half since I didn’t have cream, chopped the fresh spinach, avoided the inclusion of nutmeg (I’m not a fan and prefer more savory flavors)—turned out great. Light, fluffy and the spinach was much better than using frozen.

The piece that is missing I topped with a slice of good Swiss and put back into the oven. Very tasty. I’m going to heat up a slice tomorrow for breakfast and top with a fried egg, the rest I’ll wrap and toss into the freezer and hope it reheats well.

7 Likes

Genius or maddness? Either way I’m clearing out the fridge!

So it’s left over rice porridge from breakfast (Savory) bound together with just a bit of flour. And pan fried, topped with jarlsberg and left over short rib.

7 Likes

What do you plan on using them for? I have some creme brulee pans/dishes that I suppose could be used the same.

Same as the Spaniards to serve small format this game like olives and feta, dips of all sorts, will eat stew type foods in it but mainly it’s for being able to use them in the oven for things like gambas with garlic, Morcilla, chorizo, octopus etc

Also beans, lots of beans, lentils and chicpeas

1 Like

Ube milk bread
feathery soft

10 Likes

Grilled ribeye . Lemons. Always wanted to taste this German fellows beef . As good as his sausages he makes .

8 Likes

Wait, why so much lemon?