Home Cooking 2020

change the dough :slight_smile:

Yeah, like I said, it was an experiment. The double batch of dough was done with its first rising. Now I know better.

not sure what you mean… after initial rise i throw it in the fridge covered for 2 days… after 1 day i take it out and knead it again and it rises really nicely. is hydration just measured as water/flour? then i’m always at 70%

1 Like

My professional baker friend says bread should be 65-69% (by weight). Past that you start getting noticeably softer and stickier. The dough I make for Detroit-style pizza is 73% and it’s really sticky and hard to handle.

Ya I start at 70 but it’s too sticky and I’m adding significant flour when kneading

Teaching the little one the finer points of tempura coated squash blossoms. We like a thin batter. Liberally seasons with salt and parm.

11 Likes

Is softer and stickier bad (aside from being harder to handle)? I assume that high hydration also leads to a more-open crumb?

1 Like

Depends on what you’re trying to make.

Finally got around to trying that. Excellent. I might add some more crunchy vegetables.

1 Like

Today I baked. On the hottest freaking day of the year, I baked.

When the cherry tomatoes are sweet and juicy I make these Empanadas de Jitomate (Tomato Jam Turnovers)

The recipe is from My Sweet Mexico by Fany Gerson, one of the very few cookbooks devoted to Mexican sweets in either Spanish or English. The tomato jam is super simple, just cherry tomatoes and sugar. The dough recipe is easy peasy and very forgiving. No matter how many times you roll or reroll, it bakes up crumbly/flakey and tender.

In the interest of using my sourdough starter more regularly, and improving my skills with it, I also made Choco Pan de Coco (Chocolate Coconut Bread) from New World Sourdough by Bryan Ford. Holy mother of god, is this loaf good.

It’s indulgent without being overly sweet, not particularly coconut forward and just enough chocolate. This is definitely not a quick bread in either style or time and it’s sourdough roots are clearly present. The author encourages you to break open the loaf while it is still hot out of the oven. I did and I have no regrets :yum:

14 Likes

I’ve been using the toaster oven. It occurs to me I could put it outside.

1 Like

More black sesame ice cream

12 Likes

That looks Vespertinian.

2 Likes

Nobody to blame but the parents. My kids couldn’t be more different. Breakfast during covid

4 Likes

Grits
Sausage
Cabbage

Come on!

2 Likes

Egg fried rice with fresh rice

16 Likes

That burrata looks spectacular!

@Nemroz I feel like you need this. I have no idea why, I know you are not Russian but feels like something you would have.

https://twitter.com/katlinegrey/status/1304419750538342401?s=21

2 Likes

Ok that’s amazing.

Also I’m Armenian AND Russian (first language and all)

1 Like

Also turns out it’s not soviet lol. Read below