Home Cooking 2020

Ah. I added 1 full cup of sliced blanched almonds. My wife immediately said there were too many nuts. I think I cooked the mixture for a minute too long. It tasted good but there were some areas with a slight burnt flavor. The next time I make this I’ll do half cup of the sliced almonds since I have left over. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Try 2/3 of a cup of slice almonds. Sliced are hard because they are so thin. You can take the pan off the heat towards the end when the butter and sugar are really molten but not quite done. That will slow the nuts down from toasting too much but the residual heat in the pan will continue cooking the caramel. I had to do that with a couple batches I made as well.

1 Like

Thanks going to try again later this week. My friend actually just gave us some almond brittle from Paso Almonds brittle. So freaking good. Like Little John’s toffee with great whole almonds. Now we have so much good stuff to munch on.

2 Likes

Potato and pork sausage baked with onion . Sunny side up egg. Cheers .

4 Likes

Made a tomato leek quiche with the Tokyo negi from The Girl & Dug. Cheated with pre made pie crust. Very good.

10 Likes

got an instant vortex air fryer oven this week and eating potato chips made with same as i type this.

2 Likes

I think this batch is going to be better. I added a lot more salt per your suggestion, added less almonds and cooked a bit less.

8 Likes

That looks great! How does it taste?

Excellent. As soon as this batch was finished cooling my wife told me I need to make another one since we were planning on giving half to my in laws. We love this recipe and will be making these often. Thanks for the detailed recipe and instructions.

6 Likes

After Christmas feast; dry aged ribeye cap, fries, bok choy and chanterelles.

10 Likes

Is Hoppin John usually made with black eyed peas? I was looking for some new recipes and though this would be a hit with the family but the Serious Eats recipe says specifically not to use black eyed peas which is unfortunate because I have some Rancho Gordo left over from NYE.

1 Like

Field peas, also called cowpeas, are rare except in the South. Black-eyed peas are a close substitute.

1 Like

This recipe from Marcus Samuelsson for black eyed peas is very good. I made it (with my RG BEP) for New Year’s and enjoyed it quite a bit.

2 Likes

Black-eyed peas among the many varieties of cowpeas (Vigna unguiculata). And there are different varieties of black-eyed peas as well.

Pretels…I made German-style pretzels today. A little chubby, but they taste good and have a nice chew.

Up close with a pretzel

Not something I would have ordinarily chosen to have made but it was the monthly baking project for a cookbook club to which I belong.

11 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Mustard? Did you serve them with mustard? They look great! You could use the dough and make them into buns as well.

1 Like

Yes. Mustard and a beer/cheese sauce.

2 Likes

Baking day

6 Likes