Home Cooking 2021

Buddy came back from a fishing trip in Alaska and brought me a load of halibut, sable and raker. Got inspired to make some bouillabaisse. Worked off the Mark Bittman NYT recipe. I made a quick stock with shrimp shells and a couple sacrificed clams and then combined it with some chicken stock I had in the freezer.

Kept my fennel pieces pretty big instead of chopping them up. In addition to the halibut I had some shrimp, clams and some frozen nz green lips. The pre-blanched mussels weren’t that good but I felt like they were a necessary visual element.

Went the lazy route on the rouille and just combined mayo, garlic and some aji paste. Worked out pretty good.

11 Likes

Oh, no! Your grandmother’s pan! :cry:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was heart broken :cry:

2 Likes

The iteration of his recipe I used is different from the 2003 version in “The Gift of Southern Cooking” (a great book!). It’s from an article in the February 2012 edition of “Bon Appetit”. It differs from the original in that the initial wet brine is changed to an overnight dry brine/spice rub. The buttermilk marinade is eliminated in favor of dousing the chicken in buttermilk, egg and water before dredging in flour and cornstarch. The rationale is that a buttermilk marinade precludes a crisp crust. I have used the Serious Eats fried chicken recipe before so I know that a crisp crust can be achieved after a buttermilk brine, but I found that I prefer the thinner, very crisp coating on Scott’s later version of the recipe. I did make two adjustments; first I swapped out the water in the buttermilk douse for vodka, and second I double fried it as Kenji suggests in the Serious Eats recipe. Did you make any alterations on the Serious Eats recipe?

Fried chicken has always been my white whale . I’m going to try this one from above. I have lard. Mainly I like the cooking temp of 335 degrees. I have done all of those double fry with complete failure. This time medium low .

2 Likes

If you can’t get country ham bacon, or bacon grease is a good substitute.
I agree the lower temp keeps it from getting too brown.
Best of luck and hope the smoke blows away from you! Hopefully fire season will be over soon.

1 Like

Ya’ll wanna see a semi-fail? I’m normally a pretty competent baker, but I haven’t baked for a few months and, apparently, I’ve gotten rusty. I’m only sharing this because I’ve had a bit too much wine tonight, and because I was amused by how this turned out.

Mistake #1 I decided to make something I’ve never made before. The two choices were a Battenburg Cake or a Pecan Praline Babka. The babka won.

Mistake #2 I started making the dough about the same time the spectacular thunder and lighning show decided to move through San Diego. I got distracted, very distracted. I added all the butter to the dough instead of only a portion of it. Oops… Not one to waste, and knowing I was working with a variation of a brioche dough I managed to salvage it into a respectable cinnamon raisin bread. Excellent toasted with peanut butter

But on to the Babka. The dough was a dream to work with.

Mistake #3 I got far to confident in my skills and abilities as a baker.

Mistake #4 and this was a big one. I couldn’t get the twist tight enough on the top part of the loaf.

Mistake #5 thinking that proofing and baking would hide my crappy twist job.

Mistake #6 oops…it collapsed while cooling. But, hey, the glaze will hide everything, right?

I give you the Little Old Lady Who Lives in a Shoe Babka. Looks like hell, tastes like heaven. Well, actually, it tastes like a giant bear claw, which in my book, is pretty good.

Paul Hollywood would tell me it was underbaked, and I would probably agree with him. Between the poor twist and slight underbaking, I think that is why it collapsed. Pero, ni modo, it still tastes good, and that pecan praline glaze is MONEY. I’d eat that straight out of the saucepan. You can’t ever go wrong with butter, heavy cream and brown sugar.

We all post our cooking hits, I figured it was time for a miss, or a partial miss.

12 Likes

This is the greatest home cooking post of all time.

4 Likes

Lol! I need this on a tee shirt!

2 Likes

Smoke is pretty much gone . Trying the recipe next week . Here comes the cold nights in the high 20’s . Will be frying outside with my propane stove . My oven hood vent blows . It doesn’t suck .

2 Likes

I have had so many failures. Thank you for posting this - although it looks great.
My contribution tonight is Salade Nicoise…

I hope the cooking thread keeps going. I appreciate learning from everyone!

6 Likes

So sorry - although I envy where you live - LA sucks and blows.

2 Likes

LOL…isn’t that the truth. My favorite Mexicanismo of all time.

3 Likes

That’s all that matters at the end of the day.

5 Likes

No adjustments. Stuck to the recipe other than using less black pepper bc my little girl does not like black pepper.

Interesting note on the buttermilk marinade precluding a crisp crust. The serious eats recipe tastes good but definitely miss a little bit of the crunch. I was thinking of maybe adding some soda water to make the batter more tempura like. I may try your recipe next time. I bought buttermilk to make pancakes and the fried chicken was one way to use the rest of the buttermilk.

1 Like

If you ever have leftover buttermilk again try these, Nancy Silverton’s All-Butter Biscuits | Saveur. So good!

2 Likes

The biscuits must be good. There is almost a half stick of butter per biscuit. Haha.

2 Likes

It’s not health food.
Years ago my wife and I were trying to get our teenage daughter interested in cooking. I made these biscuits and she blurted out, “Daddy you have to teach me to cook because once I move away I will never eat like this again!” She has become a superb cook.

5 Likes

5 sticks of butter???
For 12 biscuits???

Wow! That’s over an ounce and a half of butter per biscuit, that’s almost 350 calories per biscuit!!

4 Likes

Making the twelve biscuits the recipe calls for produces huge biscuits. I usually make it into twenty. Nevertheless it’s a lot of butter. Special occasion treats not every day food.

4 Likes