Home Cooking 2021

Former poster @thechez5 used to talk about eating butter, just plain butter :rofl:! I miss her/him.

4 Likes

It seems any time I get her to agree to make something big for a party I end up asking for seledka pod shuboi… herring under fur coat.

6 Likes

чудесный

2 Likes

Had one of those Little Sheep home hot pot kits sitting on the shelf forever. Finally went out and bought some sliced tongue and fatty brisket to put this thing to work. Pretty good and really went to town wilting down half a head of frisee.

8 Likes

Looks delicious @js76wisco.

Question: Do you use bone-in or bone-out short ribs? I usually buy bone-in for braising but recently got boneless for a dinner party where one carnivore friend will not eat anything with a bone in it… Yep.

I feel like crying.

I use bone in. Don’t worry your friend won’t know that the bones fall straight out after cooking and you’ve discarded them in the trash. For this dish we generally cook it the night before, let it cool down and stick in the fridge. The next day a 1/2 pool of fat will have collected at the top. Throw that away fat away and reheat for an hour or so.

4 Likes

Yah, I’m worried about the boneless meat drying out before it becomes tender. I already bought boneless to practice on because dinner isn’t for a couple weeks. If it doesn’t workout I’ll do what you say and remove the bones…shhh. I have a go-to recipe but great tip on refrigerating and skimming the fat. There’s a lot of fat! These tomatoey dishes taste better the next day anyway. Will post. Thanks!

2 Likes

Keep in mind that boneless short rib is usually Chuck flap it shouldn’t dry out and it’s very easy to use and a good value for the price but it’s not nearly as flavorful as bone in short rib

2 Likes

I did not know this. :slightly_smiling_face: I have a few good beef recipes under my belt but do not know a lot about beef cuts.

1 Like

Practicing my Sharots/ Sujuk game

8 Likes

I’m not sure what those are, but they look delicious!

It’s a dried dessert we have that uses a string of dry walnuts that we dip into a sticky thing made of grape juice and fruit molasses. Georgians call it churchkhela i think

3 Likes

Thank you. They sound wonderful. What’s not to like walnuts and sweetness.

Braised Boneless Short Ribs & Smashed Yukons

After turning hubs mostly into a pescatarian this month (slightly against his will) I figured a hearty, beefy & red saucey meal would be most welcome. He looked at me like I had lost my mind when I said we should put them in the fridge to seperate the fat and have them the next day. So that didn’t happen @js76wisco. :laughing:

Got my first meat order from Standing’s on Melrose. Trimmed some fat and browned in batches.

This is an Anne Burrell recipe from years ago before she became a game show host. Girl can cook. It starts with puréeing the soffritto then frying it in olive oil until it becomes a “very dark crud”, add tomato paste & fry some more then add an insane amount of wine & some water. I added a parmesan rind this time too @js76wisco. :hearts:

I braised them on top of the stove because our countertop convection oven is used so much the real oven has turned into storage. They did take longer than in the oven but my worries about the boneless drying out was unfounded. Bone-in has the edge but these were really tender.

Inside shot…

Sautéed Carrots - Butter, Olive Oil, Sherry Vinegar, Honey, Water, S&P, Chopped Carrot Leaves

A rich, smooth red went into the pot & into the glass.

I had a lot of sauce leftover and it became a master sauce for the week - three extra dishes came from that rich, red deliciousness. TBC…

17 Likes

Haha I’m sure it was still delicious even without the skimming of the fat. We ended up using the sauce for pasta all week too. I saved some chunks of meat for short rib Mac n cheese grilled cheese too. Delicious. So much sauce and such a waste to throw away.

You’re version looks much darker with the soffrito and lots of red wine. Looks decadent. Glad you enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Wow! Looks great!

1 Like

Thanks @js76wisco.

I thought the parmesan rind (actually robusto rind) would lighten up the dark color, but it just made the sauce more decadent. I will no longer neglect the baggies of rinds that end up shoved to the back of the freezer. :yum:

2 Likes

Wow, looks incredible. Nothing quite like a good short rib dish.

1 Like

Parma rinds rule .

3 Likes