Home Cooking 2021

Yah I save them because it sounds like a good idea to use them in cooking but I was a little baffled by how that works. Well it’s not rocket science. You put it in to flavor the pot then fish it out like a bay leaf. The robusto was a little tricky because I had to peel off the wax before adding it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I scrape the wax. Somewhat . Toss it in . I don’t worry about it . If you see it after the dish is done . I’ll pick it out . Love my large cooking tweezers.

2 Likes

I love those as well (cooking tweezers). After my wife saw them she ordered them for all our friends who cook.
I can get get Parmesan rinds at Whole Foods or Ralphs here. Can you get them up there?
How beautiful was the storm? A bit of a dud down here, but anything is welcome!

1 Like

More from the Master Sauce Series. :blush:

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Combined the wine & tomato braising sauce w/sautéed Japanese eggplant, onion, garlic, leftover rice, smashed yukons, plus a dollop of sauce on top & creamy cheese.

Tomato Soup

Puréed leftover tomato & wine braising sauce, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, chicken broth, Indian spices, black pepper, added cream, garnished w/green tiger tomatoes roasted w/olive oil & salt, cream & chives.

Classic Tomato Soup Pairing - Grilled Cheese w/Heirloom Tomato

And a nice Chianti…

Chili con Carne y Frijoles

Added a secret not so secret ingredient…

Chiles Secos (GCM) - Mole Negro & Mole Coloradito

As if it wasn’t rich enough, I added a tablespoon of each mole to the wine & tomato braising sauce, beef, beer, rehydrated puréed chilis, aromatics, spices & Rancho Gordo hidatsa red beans. :hearts:

Mixed Sazón Seasonings w/leftover Basmati Rice

This concludes my master sauce series. Thank you for joining. Hope you enjoyed it! :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

That short rib dish looks so great!

1 Like

that grilled cheese :heart:

1 Like

You made that master sauce work HARD and how creative you were with it. Love thos RG Hidasta Reds, excellent choice for chili!

2 Likes

Thanks @DiningDiva! :laughing:

Yah the hidatsa reds are perfect chili beans!

I get Reggiano rinds at Costco. They come with a pound or two of cheese.

1 Like

I love that Chili Hack! Will have to try it!! I can not make my picadillo without a spoonful of Achiote paste. It just would not be right…

1 Like

Hah! I’m the same. Every time I plan to make just a basic chili I can’t help adding mole paste if we have it!

I confess I have never used cooking tweezers (I just use small tongs as an extension of my hands, kinda) but they sound awesome.

Is there a set you recommend?

3 Likes

Here is what I use (oddly contemplating if I should have used plural rather than singular…it’s one item but the name is plural…), https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQQCSS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

3 Likes

Hmmm…they look suspiciously like the tweezers the surgeon used to remove the stitches after surgery this past summer. He gave them to me when he was done, perhaps I should repurpose them.

3 Likes

They look fairly identical to the tweezers in my critter first aid bag, too. And significantly more affordable.

Kinda cool yours were gifted … also, um, is it common for medical personnel to hand over their tools to patients?

2 Likes

I love my pair I ordered . 12 " way better than tongs. I use it all the time.

1 Like

Definitely repurpose - tweezers are tweezers…

1 Like

Homemade katsu sandos with homemade bulldog sauce bought milk bread from Nijiya and cut off the crusts.

7 Likes

Neapolitan ragu courtesy of Serious Eats

Thanksgiving prep…garlic confit in duck fat. Mash up of Serious Eats and America’s Test Kitchen techniques

13 Likes

What’s the garlic confit for?