Home Cooking 2021

We did a tri tip instead of prime rib for Christmas because the markets were out and it turned out perfect with chimichurri. I used an untrimmed and the residual fat cap was awesome.

5 Likes

We didn’t have space in the oven and the grill was already going so we roasted a gratin over charcoal :laughing:

8 Likes

Paccheri alla vodka with sausage
Experimenting with this pasta shape…I think it’s too floppy for this sauce. But it tasted good.

12 Likes

That’s all that matters!
Have a wonderful New Year!

1 Like

Happy New Year, @ebethsdad !

1 Like

At home since my girl has strep throat and covid. She is ok but we had to cancel all plans but at least we are eating well.

Appetizers

Caviar on top of potato latkes, sour cream and red onion. This was amazing. Astrea caviar is better though.

Best $18 bottle of alcohol you will ever find.

Dinner is king crab, dungeness crab, broccolini with roasted garlic and potato latkes.

Happy New Year to all my FTC friends. All the best in 2022.

19 Likes

@js76wisco, sorry to hear about your kid, wishing you guys a speedy recovery. Love the latkes!

3 Likes

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

1 Like

Happy New Year!
Speedy recovery to one of our favorite chowpups.

3 Likes

I hope everyone feels better soon. I had the stomach flu last week and then tested positive for COVID on Monday. First time I’ve ever lost 20 lbs. (or any for that matter) over the holidays. On the mend now, but what a fitting way to say good riddance to a shitty year.

11 Likes

Glad you’re feeling better! If weight loss was an ny resolution, at least you got it out of the way! :grimacing:

6 Likes

Yikes. Hopefully you were able to enjoy some part of the holiday. I could use some of the 20lb weight loss after all the eating.

3 Likes

Well wishes to everyone and hope you get well soon.

Thread retirement.

5 Likes

Oh man! :broken_heart: Sorry so many peeps got sick and hope everyone is on the mend!!!

Bye 2021!

3 Likes

Guess i’m into the pontification and food related banter… I’m blowing through the podcast while doing things around the house

1 Like

I didn’t want to start a new thread but does anybody know what the difference is between tonkatsu sauce (orange label) vs chuno sauce (yellow label)? The ingredients are very similar except for yeast extract and hydrolized soy protein.

1 Like

I was curious about that too so I found this blog which says that chuno is like a mix between Worcestershire sauce and tonkatsu sauce.

3 Likes

We tried it last night and I didn’t get much of the Worcestershire sauce flavor. We thought it was like tonkatsu sauce just a tad sweeter.

1 Like