Home Cooking 2022

VERY nice. What noodles did you use? Recipe?

2 Likes

I used Sun fresh ramen noodles. I believe alkali noodles are what is favored in Sichuan and fresh ramen are the same type. Whole Foods stocks this noodle and Epicurus has it as well.
Recipe is here, Cold Dishes/Noodles Archives - Page 4 of 4 ā€¢ The Mala Market | Inspiration & Ingredients for Sichuan Cooking. My only deviation was to stir-fry the yibin yacai before putting them in the sauce, a recommendation from Fuchsia Dunlop.

5 Likes

another seledka pod shuboi - herring in a coat in the books from a recent birthday.

7 Likes

These beans were a hit. Topped them with mushrooms and birds eye chilis. So easy.

6 Likes

Went to Chicago recently, but elected to do thin crust at Barnabyā€™s (old neighborhood joint) because itā€™d been forever. But of course, I canā€™t leave the deep dish itch unscratched.

12" extra cheese. 1 lb. whole milk low moisture mozz. 8oz provelone. Crust variation, rather than subbing in 20% semolina as I usually do, I tried subbing straight cornmeal. This made for an EXTRAORDINARILY slack dough, to the point that it was difficult to work with, and I had to resort to slapā€™nā€™fold kneading and some stretch and folds during the first rise to get something that I thought would hold together.

BUT, it tasted delicious. Nice crisp underside, soft, tender edge crusts, and the best iteration of my sauce yet: 28oz can san marzano-style tomatoes (I actually DO have the Cento DOP ones, because I found a 3 pack on sale). Drain liquid and reduce liquid to about 2 tblspoons tomato paste. Add back to tomatoes. 1 tsp ea dried basil, dried oregano, marjoram, garlic powder, granulated sugar. 1 tablespoon grated parm (you can use the cheap stuff). 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. break up whole tomatoes by hand to desired consistency. Salt to taste. Fridge sauce for a couple of hours (better overnight).

7 Likes

How did u make those beans? Baked ina dish?

no, just stove top, slowly in a thick pan. soakā€¦ cookā€¦ then cook with aromatics and stockā€¦ then the rest on the plate.

1 Like

Awesome thanks!

Looks beautiful! One of my best friends is from Chicago and I make deep dish for him. Havenā€™t taken pictures of one though.
Have you tried Tony Gemignaniā€™s trick of putting the sauce on after the pie is cooked and taken out of the pan? He claims it makes the pie less soggy. I have done it several times and it does turn out a lovely pizza.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not heard of that trick. But that would necessitate a COOKED sauce, no? My sauce is (mostly) uncooked precisely because itā€™s gonna sit in a 450+ oven for 35 minutes in a (relatively) shallow pool, so itā€™s cooking down there.

And wouldnā€™t that leave the top of your cheese bare to burn in the oven?

You have me curious. More info, please!

2 Likes

Here is a link to one of his recipes, Chicago Deep Dish Pizza You Can Make At Home? 'The Pizza Bible' Shows Us How
I usually make his sausage version.
His book, ā€œThe Pizza Bibleā€ is worth having.
Here is a link to his website, https://www.tonygemignani.com/
Never had a problem with the cheese burning, and his crust with cornmeal is easy to use - although it needs at least a 24 hour proof. His sauce is uncooked except for warming it right before applying it.

veryinteresting

I had no previously knowledge of this individual. Thanks!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never seen a tomato sauce recipe similar to that. The ricotta goes on after the pie is cooked, too.

We got way behind on tomatoes because weā€™ve been getting so many in the CSA box so I simmered two pints, put them through a crank sieve, and reduced the liquid to a sauce consistency. They looked like paste tomatoes but turned out to be cherry, so the sauce was surprisingly sweet. Served with some sheep feta left over from sabzi khordan that had some spice mix on it and some grated Manchego. Very good.

6 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, butā€¦

Partner purchased some tuna for poke tonight. He made a sauce that had onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, and a (premade?) garlic/chili paste. After just a few hrs, the texture of the tuna MARKEDLY changed (almost bizarrely soft). Texture of the tuna was just fine immediately after the sauce was added, and the tuna was put in the fridge after mixing.

Tuna tasted just fine and had no odor, so I still ate itā€¦

Does one of the ingredient listed above have some sort of effect on the texture of raw tuna?

Maybe the chili paste? Or maybe the fish was frozen and unfrozen too many times?

I believe marinating raw fish in anything acidic can make it soft. Good ceviche requires timing.

2 Likes

The thing is that partner said texture was normal this afternoon, and I assume no additional freezing after it put in the case at Bristol Farms.

I do wonder if the chili paste had vinegar. I donā€™t know where the paste is, so I canā€™t check the ingredient list.

Edit: found and checked the chili paste. Acetic acid is high on the list of ingredients.

1 Like

Undoubtedly posting too much on this thread but I cook more often than we eat out.
KFC - Korean Fried Chicken - fried then frozen and then fried - super crisp. Maangchiā€™s recipe; I have two recipes from other cookbooks I will try. Forgot to put the extra aged kimchi on the plate.

Berry Pavlova from a dear friendā€™s birthday - almost seems like a healthy dessert;

12 Likes

Love the Arte Johnson trope! That was such a great show. I so fell in love with Goldie Hawn!