Home Cooking 2022

Happy New Year!

Happy cooking!

8 Likes

Feliz año nuevo!

4 Likes

Lucky 2022 Black Eyed Peas & Cornbread

15 Likes

Roasted tri tip oven roasted and reverse seared.

13 Likes

Looks perfect.

A friend gifted us A LOT of beef. I failed miserably with the Tri-Tip. Totally ego bruising as I’m usually really good with beef. Thankfully, we have one more. Going to need some tips before I attempt it again. :wink:

2 Likes

So the rule of thumb seems to be 10 min a lb at 400 plus 20-30 min resting.

The way Ive cooked mine is doing 215 and doubling the time this is for untrimmed tri tip. Rub with whatever you want on skin and let marinate for a min of couple hours. Further make sure that your cut is evenly warmed and not straight from the fridge prior to popping in the oven. I use a meat thermometer and check 10 min before the time is up aiming for 110-115 at the deepest. Put it on cast iron and sear couple min each side aiming for final temp of like mid 120s. With the carryover cooking bringing it to 130 while resting in foil.

3 Likes

Okay! I’m doing that! Will report back!

Edit: @hungryhungryhippos did you cook covered or uncovered in the oven?

1 Like

Uncovered

1 Like

Not a great photo and I’m not sticking it in a bowl, for a photo… I have Covid. LOL!

9 Likes

Love all the red pepper!! Last year when I was down with Covid… I didn’t have taste nor smell. It was just Mandalorios and Self Pity…

!!

Hope you feel better soon!

11 Likes

Lol!!

Thank you! This is like a super bad cold with the most painful burning nose ever, and an 18 hour severe headache.

Knock on wood, I feel like I’m turning the corner though.

9 Likes

@Gr8pimpin, Hope you feel better soon.

3 Likes

Get better!!!

1 Like

Meathead’s advice, Grilled Santa Maria Tri-Tip Recipe: Poor Man's Filet Mignon
As I have a smoker, a grill, and a fancy thermometer I start it on the smoker at 225 with red oak for smoke. When it gets to 90 internal I start my grill with the aim of blistering temperatures. When it hits 115 I pull the temperature probes (don’t want to fry them) and transfer it to the grill. Then I flip it every two minutes until it gets to 125. Pull it off, and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Great stuff. I missed cooking it for others during the lockdowns.

Have a wonderful New Year!
The photo got split in transferring. If that is the least of my problems this year its a good start to 2022.

10 Likes

Feel better! Maybe Wendy’s chili will help, I love eating that when I have a cold.

3 Likes

Oh man @Gr8pimpin! Hope you recover quickly!

3 Likes

Ugly delicious NYE coq au vin + incredible wine. Happy new year!

13 Likes

An actual old rooster?

3 Likes

Good question. BTW 99 Ranch carries stewing hens (but not roosters). I often buy one for making stock.

1 Like

I’ve never managed to buy an actual old rooster. I was buying chickens direct from a farm and asked, but they said their Mexican farmhands kept them for themselves.

4 Likes