Home Cooking 2023

Hanging head in shame. I use TJs and think it’s just fine. I divide it into two 8oz hunks and freeze til ready to use.

1 Like

Celery leaf does have a lot of flavor. I got a bunch at the Brentwood farmers market that seems like it was half celery leaf so I puréed it with lemon juice, olive oil, and some lemon eucalyptus marmalade I had laying around. Lol I feel like I should be doing something fancy with it!

5 Likes

A lot of flavor - it’s quite interesting for an unusual pesto which can be used quite broadly, e.g. fish, meat

2 Likes

Celery leaf is kind of like a celery-flavored herb. A bit delicate compared with the stalks. Be careful not to burn it.

1 Like

saturday grillin’

chicken skin.

https://i.imgur.com/2tvL6Pc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ICy6P57.jpg

3 Likes

Oh my she-gawd! That looks insane! Can I just buy the skin?

1 Like

I have about a dozen, small, red new potatoes after roasting and also including in a salad. Any suggestions for the last of them? TIA.

1 Like

Yes! If you’re in LA, pretty sure Farmers Market Poultry sells chicken skin. I needed some for schmaltz and gribenes, and they were my source. May have to call slightly ahead to reserve.

3 Likes

No, we’re in Seattle but our favorite farmers market has local poultry. I’ll check with them. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hash of some sort?

Super idea. I have some TJs pork belly, Vidalia onion, etc. Sounds like a winner. Thanks, ED.

1 Like

Tomato and egg

7 Likes

Seared Swordfish Chunks & Baby Bell Peppers on Lemon Sauce. Sautéed Potatoes w/Shallots & Scallions. Slow Roasted Tomatoes & Garlic w/Olive Oil, Fish Sauce & Pinch of Sugar, Garnished w/Capers, Parsley, Scallions, Micro Greens.

We had something similar at Avra recently. It was hubs’ dish but I liked it the most and wanted to make it. To make it a little more pleasing to hubs’ palate I added a little cream (okay not so little) to the lemon sauce. :blush:

There was wine. We had the Viognier on the left.

7 Likes

That sear!! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Our pizza steel guarantees us the best pizza ever! Not a week goes by that we’re not fixing one. We tend to just eat one large’ish slice each and then have the rest of a breakfast.

4 Likes

black cod

10 Likes

Beautiful! I regret that I only discovered black cod two years ago. It is such a great fish! Did you use the classic miso/sake marinade?
If you have a smoker it smokes wonderfully.

2 Likes

Do you prefer this to broiling? Partner does a great black cod, but the broiler can be cruel (a bit burnt on top, while not QUITE cooked through enough).

3 Likes

this was broiled actually in just a regular home oven. the trick is to move the pan around a bit, so that once you achieve the right colour on top of say the thicker side, you can move the pan so it so it’s not quite underneath the element while the thinner part of the fish is directly under it. it’s also ok to just move the rack a bit lower once you achieve the right colouring to finish cooking. it’s incredibly hard to overcook black cod because it’s such a fatty and forgiving fish.

re: smoking: interesting idea. I find that smoking can really overpower flavours.

6 Likes

Here is the recipe I used, Smoked Sablefish Recipe - Black Cod Recipe | Hank Shaw
Delicious results!

1 Like