Home Cooking 2023

What’s great about catching vendors at the tail end of the farmers market?
The deals so they can close out and go home.

Hit the Cerritos FM after some morning errands and the fishmonger had some wild red snapper available for about $12/lb. I bought the last 3 packages for about $40…each package was labeled at about $20 each. Score!

With some thinly sliced potatoes and topped with a schmear of chipotle garlic toum from the Mediterranean snacks vendor, I en papillote each filet and tossed in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Squeeze some lemon and it was demolished by the entire household. The filets were a touch small so 15 might have been too long, but the chipotle toum was quite nice.

6 Likes

Framore pasta. Made with Durham wheat and semolina .I would suggest checking your desired taste at 13 minutes. Simple meat gravy with Parmigianino Reggiono…

5 Likes

Anyone use this for a quick meal at home? I miss teriyaki chicken/beef bowls. Seems like a quality product and something I can meal prep/quick weeknight dinner.

3 Likes

It’s pretty solid I got a bottle at Costco. Not anything I would buy every time but pretty good to spruce up any Asian style rice bowl.

1 Like

I make my own with good soy sauce and mirin and ginger grated in one of those Daiso graters. I also like using the soup mix from the A-Sha noodle packets (Pro tip… they making noodle packs for Trader Joes soon) and use that with the grated ginger and honey as a sweetener for a stirfry marinade.

4 Likes

With restaurants charging more than ever, including additional fees at the end of meal bill, I might as well get better at making my own meals.

I’m looking into making chicken wings. It’s terrifying to see anyone from my family drive out and spend a fortune ($25+) on 16 pieces, veggie sticks, and dip.

For that amount of money, I might as well spend $20 on frozen chicken wings 10lbs from Costco and hopefully give him wings that are better than Wingstop.

Anyone know of a good wings recipe?

1 Like

I don’t have a recipe but making spicy garlic wings is really easy.

Chop a bunch of garlic into a mince. Sauté on medium heat until golden in some oil.

Add franks red hot and sugar to taste. More Frank’s if you want them super spicy, more sugar if you want them sweeter. Also add garlic powder, depending on how garlicky you want it. You’ll probably need at least .5 bottle to one bottle of franks. Let simmer for a couple of minutes

At the end add a thumb of butter and some corn starch mix in for desired thickness consistency. Go easy on corn starch a little goes a long way. You can always add more but not less.

Once combined mix in with your fried, air fried, or baked wings.

Also here’s a recipe for fish sauce wings ala pok pok style . I didn’t follow this exact recipe but if you’re a recipe person this will do. I would recommend using palm sugar instead of regular sugar among other things.

4 Likes

I would confit the wings sous vide style if you have a vacuum sealer, then you can just pull out portions dredge in wondra if you like and deep fry then toss in glaze of your choice

4 Likes

Any recommendations for a vacuum sealer and at a price point?

It’s a huge learning curve for me to commit $$$ to a new equipment.

1 Like

I have this brand off Amazon but there are all sorts of similar ones.

You can certainly simply fry the wings in a heavy pot if you prefer for about 8-10 minutes at 350 (defrosted and slacked to room temp) or until 165 with a thermometer. Don’t mean to send you off buying something if you aren’t going to otherwise use it! Even if I do think that they pay for themselves in the long run

1 Like

Fried Chicken Wings are hard to execute at home, I did it once with sous vide and dried out the chicken in the fridge and then fried them. Super tasty… too fussy for me for when I get a wings craving… Better just to do a whole chicken crisco pan fry chicken at this point. SO MUCH BETTER.

However, when we have wings, I love them with Spicy Korean marinade. This one is excellent (I always get the one with actual Korean Pear in it)

Marinade overnight, then bake them in a 400 oven for 15, turning half way. Toss in on some more marinade while still hot and then shake on some sesame seeds and thinly sliced bird peppers and scallion tops. Serve with yummy mushroom rice (Re Hydrate some Dried Shitake and then cook the rice in the soaking liquid), fluff with sea salt and sesame oil and then accomany with a quick cucumber kimchee.

Instead of Blu Cheese, dip them in Goichigang Sour Cream. AMAZING…

4 Likes

We have a small vaccum sealer, but I don’t always use it for Sous Vide (I sous vide boneless skinless chicken breasts all the time, the best way), I use a reusable silicone bag, just make sure to push out all the air and clip the bag. You can also add something like a kitchen knife to weight it down (I need to mostly for veggies, not meat)

4 Likes

Here is Maangchi’s Korean wings recipe, Crispy crunchy Korean fried chicken (Dakgangjeong) recipe by Maangchi. The double fry is important.
The Best Buffalo Wings Recipe Here is Kenji’s Buffalo wings recipe - again a double fry.
Roasted and Glazed Chicken Wings | America's Test Kitchen Recipe Cooks Illustrated roasted wings.

2 Likes

I was thinking about going to Costco to get their 10lb frozen chicken wings for $20, though I recently found out that they also sell air chilled wings too!

I got a vacuum sealer.

Now I’m waiting for a Sous Vide sale at Costco. I’m waiting for Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker to drop down to $160 or lower.

4 Likes

Caveat emptor - I purchased an Anova sous vide which broke one month after the warranty was up. I called them and asked what was up. The charming young woman on the phone called back and assured me she had informed her superiors and I would receive a replacement. Months passed…crickets…
If you do purchase a sous vide I would suggest anything but an Anova.
As much respect as I have for @Dommy, I don’t think a sous vide is necessary for wings, although it is a useful tool.
For a vacuum sealer Costco sells the FoodSaver, https://www.costco.com/foodsaver-vacuum-sealing-system-with-handheld-sealer-attachment.product.100982388.html for a good price if you decide to buy one.

2 Likes

It’s not necessary if you do the double fry method, but I don’t have a deep fryer and generally don’t like to fry at home, so I was aiming to pan fry. So I used this technique.

The wings were AMAZING. Shattering crisp. But again, it was way too fussy for me not just to go to Louders instead.

Oh! And I don’t have the Anova Sous Vide so I can’t speak for that one, I have the Joule which is wonderful. Got it on Prime Day for a steal five years ago and it still works great.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/breville-joule-sous-vide/s645690?localedetail=US&storeid=513&a=1552&campaignid=12495285595&adgroupid=120645470124&targetid=pla-1912108808328&pla_sku=645690&pcat=HSW&ag=adult&gclid=Cj0KCQiAt66eBhCnARIsAKf3ZNH9YcdVqoHfhJjtlXHsnOF9Z0zW2VlLwT4YKn-_YC7LsOTrrrO8JKsaApUVEALw_wcB

3 Likes

I do have the Anova and have never had a problem with it but YMMV. There are a lot more brands out there now

4 Likes

I would agree sous vide is not necessary for wings. There’s so many other methods of cooking it, but to each their own.

2 Likes

Here’s a simple crowd pleaser…

Chili Lime Marinated Chicken Wings+Avocado Dip

Ingredients

• 1 seeded and sliced jalapeño or serrano pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic chopped & 1 clove minced for dip
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 1/2 to 2 juiced limes
  • 3 lbs rinsed and patted dry chicken wings
  • 1/2 zested lime or more if you like

Directions

In a blender, puree until smooth the jalapeño pepper, 4 cloves garlic, vegetable oil, tomato paste, salt, honey and juice of 1 1/2 limes. Pour marinade over the chicken. Add the lime zest and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat boiler to medium heat.

Arrange chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Broil chicken at least 6 inches from the heat for 4-6 minutes per side; or until chicken is crispy on the outside and cooked through. It depends on your oven. I go a little longer to render the fat and soften the sinewy stuff.

Avocado Dip:

• 2 avocados
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 1 minced clove garlic
  • salt & freshly ground pepper

Pit and peel avocado. Place avocado in a medium bowl; mash. Fold in 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves; 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice, 1 clove garlic and salt; and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. This recipe you can do to your own taste. I add a little milk or water to thin it out and make more of a dip than guacamole. Garnish with remaining cilantro.

4 Likes