Home Cooking - Chinese Food (It's a Big Country)

I have the condiments, and the basic kitchen equipment. However, as has been pointed out to me on this very site, China is an entire continent. Here is a useful map to show how big and complicated it is.

IMG_4808

I have two questions to start:

1. What are the best beef cuts for home wok cooking? I want to make tomato beef, but all the recipes I see call for hangar steak, which seems it would be too chewy.

2. Which region of China is considered to have the best chefs and most refined food?

Thanks.

That’s kind of a weird map. A common starting point is the official “eight greats” but then there’s also Dongbei, Guizhou, Hainanese, Shaanxi, Xinjiang, Yunnan …

If you slice flank steak or hanger steak against the grain into thin strips, it’s not too chewy.

Yes, your map is definitely better. :slight_smile:

I’ve read some about the eight great cuisines, but am still learning.

I usually marinade hangar steak and grill it whole. I guess I can try it in a wok. Thanks for the recipe!

This.

An alternative if you are lazy and have more of a budget: Just buy the pre-cut beef rib meat at Japanese markets.

Apples and oranges. I’d HIGHLY recommend you check out the series “A Bite of China” for background information. There’s a bit of party propaganda (China is so great, yadayadayada), but it’s easy to disregard. Overall, it’s a gorgeously shot and edited series (14 episodes) which does its job in educating non-Chinese (and expat Chinese alike) about all the variations under the aegis of Chinese gastronomy.

1 Like

Thank you, I will look into this, sounds very interesting.

I was asking because I’ve read a couple of articles describing a particular region in China that was considered by most Chinese to have the most refined cooking, with chefs that are highly trained and respected. I’m assuming it’s a class thing, of course. E.g., in America some people like excellent burgers and others appreciate a tasting menu, but it’s somewhat agreed that there is more skill and technique involved with the latter.

Which region?

I am biased and partial to Cantonese and Taiwanese(includes Hakka and Fujian) food. It’s the food I grew up on, my soul food. I also like Shanghainese.

I think Shandong style has a reputation for the many techniques (like French is to Western cooking, kinda sorta, maybe, I ain’t a expert)

Tomato Beef/Beef and Tomatoes is a great dish! Speaking of tomatoes…

Scrambled Eggs and Tomatoes is probably the most popular home style dish aside from a plate of Chinese greens. I don’t know a Chinese person who doesn’t eat this, except vegetarians. And with this simple dish there is also many ways to cook it based on personal tastes.

2 Likes

What do you put in scrambled eggs with tomatoes that makes vegetarians not want to eat it?

Ehh I should have been more specific…

Some Chinese Buddhist I know do not eat eggs, and some do. Vegetarian is different for some.

And some Buddhists don’t eat garlic or onion! My kind of food.

I probably eat scrambled eggs and tomatoes and a plate of Chinese greens (extra garlic!!) more than anything as far as home food. When it gets cold some type of pork bone or chicken bone based soup…which could include the following ingredients: carrots, mustard greens, red dates, goji berries, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, dried scallop, orange peel

I think my non-Chinese friends are usually disappointed when they find out lol.

“Hey bro, you gotta show me some really good Chinese food you eat at home…”

1 Like

If you have a chance check out…

Lu’s Garden. The sweet potato porridge and the dozen or so little side dishes is very homey. I usually get the 3 or 4 item combo with sweet potato porridge…usually cucumbers, seaweed, celery, and squash for my 4 items or whatever looks good.

Pine and Crane. The owners family grows Chinese greens. Add in some of those cold veggie apps and a main. In the past I seen Hakka Stir Fry, and Salty Turnip and Eggs both very home style. I think they always have basil eggplant or 3 cup braise.

Which region am I referring to? I can’t remember, I was hoping someone here would know.

Maybe Jiangsu. It’s sort of the California cuisine of China.

Yes, I think that’s it! Thank you.

This subject is so much more complicated than French or Japanese food.

https://thehakkacookbook.com

Which could be the subject for its own thread!

:wink::grin:
In a big country

I didn’t click on your link, but I’m guessing bagpipes are involved…

1 Like

It’s more like European food.