Horses 🐴 - Hollywood

why are my lettuces so tough? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the chefs and owners, Liz Johnson and Will Aghajanian, a married couple, hired Brittany Ha to run the kitchen, and Hannah Grubba is dedicated to desserts.

does that mean the sergios are gone? any sightings recently?

2 Likes

Johnson and Aghajanian will be the first to admit they’ve garnered a reputation for being a bit nomadic. Their culinary whims and ambitions have fueled their jobs and travels for the last decade-plus, landing them both in far-off locales such as Copenhagen — to stage at Noma, where they first met — and inspiring the kitchen setup of Horses. They say it’s not a question of whether the couple will someday leave again, but when, and making sure their team can maintain the restaurant while the chef-owners consult and “co-chef” from elsewhere.

3 Likes

Seems like they might be gone. I’m surprised Shapiro hasn’t dropped an emergency episode of Air Jordan :joy:

6 Likes

lol. It’s 100% coming

-Mount up

2 Likes

Now that it’s getting hot, are they flowering? You don’t want that. May also just need more feeding with liquid seaweed or something like that.

If the stalks get big, pretend it’s celtuce.

2 Likes

Finally made it to Horses with friends in tow.

Highlights:
Pork rillettes

Caesar

And the avocado crostino with Cantabrian anchovy

Misses:
Schnitzel

And the fish special

We declined dessert because both the schnitzel and fish were woefully over cooked.

Middle of the road:
Sobrassada panino

Tuna with Romano beans

Veal sweetbreads

Boudin basque

Pasta Herman

It was fine, I suppose, but we agreed we wouldn’t need to return. Why is there so much acclaim?

8 Likes

How many :racehorse: out of 5?

4 Likes

Can you please label the pictures?

Done.

3 Likes

:horse::horse::horse:?

Still not sure why it’s getting so much attention

3 Likes

After reading the NYT piece, I’ve suddenly realized Horses is LA’s answer to NYC’s Carbone.

2 Likes

But I quite enjoy Carbone in Vegas.

Rigatoni alla vodka > Pasta Herman
Caesar > Horses Caesar

3 Likes

But Kim and Kayne > Beyonce and Jay Z??

More pressing question: Which name is worse? Horses or Carbone?

I’m not one to make judgement on names…especially when the restaurant is the chef’s namesake.

I would happily eat at Carbone over Horses when given the choice.

If the food is good, I can see the acclaim. When middling, I don’t get it at all.

4 Likes

:100:

1 Like

hi @attran99
that sucks you have a mediocre meal and i agree with you on the carbone comparisons. i’ve had a lot of misses too (tagliarini, cioppino, cote de porc, sole, and milanese) and unfortunately i think you got two of the worst mains and missed out on their signature chicken, cheeseburger and cheesecake.

i’m surprised you didn’t like the boudin basque and panino, i thought those were highlights too. thanks.

4 Likes

It was a complete mush served over the only redeeming element of the dish…a very thin layer of crackly and delicious hashbrown. :face_vomiting:

It was fine. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like