I have a thing for stews

Solidarity in Santa Monica does a nice Bigos (Hunter’s Stew) and I am rather fond of the Birria at Monte Alban in West L.A.

2 Likes

Lamb fesenjan at Shamshiri in Westwood!

Edit to add: Bigos at Solidarity in Santa Monica, though I prefer the stroganoff personally.

2 Likes

can you suggest any place with this dish? i’ve never noticed it on a menu at any iv’e been

the @Ns1 approved Song Long. closer to home there are passable versions at fiona (with an outstanding baguette) and little sister.

4 Likes

It’s a Vietnamese standard so most generalized VN restaurants and non-specialized pho joints. Best chances at VN restaurants serving VN people (as opposed to VN restaurants serving non-VN people).

It’s usually served with bread, but when the stew is at the right viscosity it can also be served with egg noodles which is f’n amazing.

Ex) pho 999 off the 405

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/6XxBB4c4tdNy6TmoY7rrWg?select=RrEgKlJvsSH02pFhYz0Sqw&utm_source=ishare&utm_content=photo

2 Likes

what the crap? there’s one by us!!! Thanks, dommy… this may be lunch

Thanks for joggin my memory… Just remembered why Ive been wanting to go to Fiona

6 Likes

i’m going to need that in a bowl, pho999

Egg noodles?!? I’ve ever only had rice vermicelli noodles…methinks my Mom shortchanged me in life.

2 Likes

Hell yeah. The slighter drier egg noodles with bo kho is f’n amazing (for non VN readers: mi bo kho is the magic item you are looking for)

2 Likes

Is that Fiona’s Vietnamese Beef Stew? Sure looks great!

Yea they have a bun and a bahn mi etc… is fiona VN?

The savory chef at Fiona is…yes. Not the pastry chef.

1 Like

From the Fiona site: " Fiona is an all-day bakery and cafe by chefs Nicole Rucker and Shawn Pham"
(fionabakeryla.com - fionabakeryla Resources and Information.)

2 Likes

Try some of the Belizean places on Western south of the10. Start with Tracey’s Belizean on Western at Exposition. Then go to Ella’s two blocks south of that at Leighton. Then try Joan & Sisters at 37th and Western

1 Like

I go to Belizean Paradise all the time. Good shout. What’s a stew you like?

3 Likes

At Tracey’s I like the Stew Chicken and Oxtail Stew. Plus I like the Tamales though you have to deal with the bones. They sell the most stews of the 3, with streams of folks coming out with styrofom containers.

Ella’s Belizian has a wider selection of dishes. Bill Esparza really likes them. I like their Salbutes and Panades.

thanks. good stuff… i love how their tamales are on the bone myself… B Paradise has nice salbutes, panates too but i’m really into their ducunu plates and the meat pies.