I have a thing for stews

I guarantee that you will have input that I haven’t considered before so I’m reaching out for your thoughts and suggestions.

Over the years it became clear to me that comforts of a saucy stew of whatever heritage it comes from has a very high place in my personal preferences. Just recently I figured out this leaning but have been unconsciously seeking out these foods from a variety of origins including Ethiopian, Thai, Indian/Bangladesh, French, Colombian, Persian, Italian etc

So what are some places you enjoy in LA particularly with satisfying stew to soak up with your flat bread or rice/potato/pasta? Country style or elevated appreciated but portion size is part of the satisfaction.

Portuguese chicken blood stew drop for reference

2 Likes
  • Meat pie @ Chi Spacca
  • Mui choy kau uuk (preserved mustard greens with pork belly) from anywhere (maybe Ocean Bo)
  • Red wine braised shortribs/oxtail from anywhere or Rivea in Las Vegas (since they serve it with pasta)
  • Chinese lamb stew with dried tofu skin clay pot from anywhere (maybe Ocean Bo)
  • Cantonese style braised beef brisket from anywhere (maybe Ocean Bo too since I can get all the typical Chinese stuff there)
2 Likes

bo kho from anywhere

holbox - seafood stew with grilled bread

5 Likes

My favorite stews are the ones made by Mom. Bo Kho and Ca Ri (Vietnamese curry) are so good with fresh baguette.

4 Likes

and here’s my universal rec for that:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/song-long-restaurant-westminster

While this is almost certainly not the best bo kho in Little Saigon, I would argue Song Long is an “essential” Little Saigon restaurant serving a dying style of French-Vietnamese food.

2 Likes

That looks great but how is it “stew”?

Song Long is legit. I’ve had many a good meal there…and they have garlicky escargot to go with their bread. It’s a shame that that style of cuisine/cooking isn’t popular amongst the new set of restaurants opening in Little Saigon.

1 Like

I linked to a yelp page, FTC automatically turned it into a picture. I fixed it now.

I was afraid to ask…briefly :slight_smile:

the korean chicken stew served over sweet potato noodles (and i STILL can’t remember the name of the place but @J_L will) is awfully good. i started using those noodles with various braises at home. but not the following:

braised chicken (preferably dark meat) with shiitake mushrooms & oyster sauce isn’t technically a stew but it’s awfully easy to make and you can go to town on the rice bowl with some of that.

1 Like

That’s all I saw and all I need.

3 Likes

i had a roommate like that. i told him to just pour the sauce onto his tongue. but the chicken & shiitake mushrooms up the ante.

1 Like

I know what you mean. Cassoulet is right up at the top of my favorite dishes. Since I know you cook here is Kenji’s version, Traditional French Cassoulet Recipe. I made it not too long ago, and added some duck confit as well as the chicken. Fantastic, but not visually intersting (my picture of it sucked).

2 Likes

“Stews” are usually something I cook rather than something I eat out. Same with steak. We can cook a great one at home.

BongChu Braised Chicken, SAM…

Pork neck soup from Ham Ji park

Intestine stew from Chosun Galbi (there’s prob better versions in ktown but this is the one I recall)

1 Like

Is there a difference between a “stew” and a “soup”?

I think soup is more brothy while stews tend to be thicker

1 Like

like i said…

I love stews too… Chili is one of my food groups…

Recently I have been obsessed by this Chicken Stew Dish at Northern Cafe in Gardena (Although I think they make it at their other locations. On the menu it’s simply called Chicken with Sliced Noodle. It’s a HUGE portion and lots of dark meat chicken, potatoes, Bell Peppers and Onions. They don’t serve it with a TON of noodles, but they do add that perfect bit of chew to the dish.

Here’s a pic from Yelp…

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/northern-cafe-gardena-2?select=FnGSaQpPIQf9_cCNLF1aUA

4 Likes