I need to say a few things about CROISSANTS

Not going to lie, if my Chaumont croissant is still warm or fresh from the oven, I start eating it on the sidewalk outside the store. And I enjoy it so much that I don’t take time to admire the crumb structure at all.

7 Likes

I’ve never been lucky enough to get one warm, bu that’s what I do, too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

An open honeycomb structure = a proper croissant because water in butter vaporizes while it’s baked and the resulting steam puffs up the pastry to create these honeycomb pockets between layers. That’s how a croissant gets its delicate mouthfeel in the middle. The Chaumont croissant in that picture looked like it didn’t rise property which would give a much more dense mouthfeel.

Said horrific croissant from Proof at another angle.

7 Likes

Sounds like everyone should go out this weekend and get croissants and compare!

10 Likes

To me, the steam create laminations, while the gluten from working the dough and proving results in the honeycomb structure (and chewiness). I know the interwebs are very fond of posting pics of the honeycomb structure, and I’ve had a decent number of that looked like that on the inside and were not to my taste. ::shrug::

Yeah, that pic still doesn’t look to me. The smoother Chaumont surface gives me the shatter that I crave.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Croissant death match!

3 Likes

I’m way more into a croissant death match than the $50 albino strawberries! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Useless. I’d take any good local farmers market strawberry from Tamari, Harry’s or the place we get from in Camarillo.

Has anybody had the croissant from Rye Goods in Newport Beach?

Not local but the best croissant I’ve had in the US is at Wayfarer in La Jolla. That place rocks.

3 Likes

I will be in Oceanside for an all-day conference on 05/07. Not sure if I’ll have time/energy to make it to La Jolla, but I am now intrigued… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://www.louthefrenchontheblock.com/

3 Likes

Lou’s is pretty legit. But best if you pre-order for their Friday - Sunday business days so you are guaranteed items off their menu.

I went once a week when I worked in the area.

3 Likes

Baker’s Bench 100%

In Chinatown weekends only. Best croissant.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZXMQ7upLgw/

5 Likes

5 Likes

Agree, bakers bench croissant is fantastic and you’ll never guess it’s vegan.

4 Likes

What do they use as a butter substitute to laminate the dough?

Fora butter:

https://www.instagram.com/forabutter/

1 Like

Interesting

Yes I go to Rye Goods about once a month when I’m down there. The croissants are good, but I think the savory pastries are the best things they do. There’s a pesto twist that’s crazy good and usually a savory scone and roll type thing that they call a snail.

2 Likes

If you’ll be in Oceanside, the best viennoiserie I’ve had all year is the Rose Pistachio Morning Bun at Revolutionary Roasters in Oceanside. The bun had the thinnest veil of frosting that shattered with every bite opening up to moist, flakey layers of buttery, gossamer crumb with just a hint of rose and the occasional surprise of pistachio. It was very unexpected and hands down the best viennoisserie I”ve had all year.

I’m the sort of weirdo/former pastry chef that seeks out good viennoiserie whenever we’re on the road (but strangely rarely when I’m in L.A.). If it’s great, I’ll buy a bunch and bring it home to freeze and reheat. From Midwife & Baker in Mountainview to Ken’s in Portland, Quail & Condor in Healdsburg to Della Fattoria in Petaluma, from Bob’s WellBread to Roan Mills in Fillmore. My favorite of all time is Lune Croissanterie in Melbourne (yes, a croissant :croissant: laboratory!) followed closely by Du Pain et Des Idées in Paris.

I’d been to Revolution Roasters years ago for the great coffee, but I don’t remember them having a pastry program, but they do know bake in house. I didn’t try anything else as I wasn’t expecting them to have great pastry, just great coffee.

As for Wayfarer, I’m not sure I’d make a special trip to Bird Rock. I didn’t dislike it, but I can’t remember anything about their croissants. I do like their bread and came home with a few loaves and I really like their pizza. If you want their bread, you might be able to get it early at Chino Farm Vegetable Stand in Rancho Santa Fe. They’ll often have loaves on the weekends.

I like Rye Goods, but it’s a much more rustic and heavier pastry due to the rye and heirloom grain. It might be disappointing for someone expecting an airy deal. I was just served their brioche made with rye starter and it was excellent. I also really like their preserves which need to stay refrigerated. It can be a little hit and miss there, but what a great asset to have in Orange County.

Wow, my first post in awhile without pictures of half eaten food :+1:

27 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t heard of the place but am excited to check it out.

Crystal White of Wayfarer has some impressive credentials, learning her trade from the original pastry chef of the French Laundry, then cofounding Proof in LA in 2010 and working at Tartine in SF before landing in SD. Her croissants are easily the best in SD and while that may not be saying much, I think they are similar to Proof (though I haven’t been there since 2012) and Tartine both of which I think are very good. I thought her breads were good too. Also, I’m not certain but believe I read that the bread Chino farms sells is from Wayfarer. Anyhow, a long winded way to say Wayfarer is pretty good, with the disclaimer that Proof was one of our favorites in LA.

7 Likes